ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 55" TV Dilemmas - Curved? 4K? What would you choose?

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Ok, so following some posts in TIL I thought I'd start this thread and gain some insight and opinions, as while we're both fairly good with this stuff we've got some dilemmas on what to actually get!

We're replacing a 46" Samsung 6 Series LCD TV that is 6 years old. We're perfectly happy with Samsung as a brand and this has meant a lot of our search has focussed on newer Samsung's.

Our new lounge is bigger than when we bought the last TV and so we're set on a 55", can give or take 3D really but the biggest consideration is that whatever we buy needs to last and be current for at least 5 years, possibly longer (no plans to move, no plans to extend so the size of the TV will more than suffice). Budget is ideally under £1000, but with some Christmas money we could stretch slightly but don't really want to be spending £1500+ for no real gains - we're not gamers, just regular TV and Movie watchers with a bit of F1 etc thrown in.

Our choices originally started with this :
http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue55h6800-curved-led-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-55-with-freeview/p1781290

But whist in store we saw this and have the big question of whether to pay the £300 more to get the slightly newer model that also has 4K :
http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue...smart-tv-55-with-freeview-freesat-hd/p1612223

But then doing some reading of reviews and also opinions on here, have come to also look at these two below and have some cash leftover for something else :
http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue...w-hd-voice-control-and-2x-3d-glasses/p1299053
http://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravi...eview-hd-2x-3d-glasses/p1491213?colour=Silver

Despite studying spec's on Samsung's it's confusing as hell, but can't quite figure out whether the 6400 is an outgoing model too?

Kinda wish we'd just gone and picked something rather than spec checking and getting further confused!

Any help and insights/user experience of the above TV's that you may have is appreciated :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
OK, so as per everyone else, why on earth are you buying curved? It's SUCH a gimmick.

Most importantly, have you actually tried watching one? i.e at someone's house?

With a decent "flat" tv, most viewing angles are fine, with a curved set if you have a few people over, then only the central three or four get a half decent view. Honestly, in the shops, like yourself, I thought they looked great. In RL, I'd rather a 32" hanspree from 2007.

Personally I'd rather a top spec, standard HD set, that a relatively entry level 4k. No upscaling, and also, 4k content is so few and far between it's unreal. If you utterly insist on buying the model with the most amount of "badges" i.e "4k, curved, OMGZ" then make sure you ask to see regular content through it. i.e normal HD and SD TV.

Another thing to bare in mind, what if you ever want to wall mount it? I know you probably think it won't happen right now, but you should keep it in mind.

I've got a 55" 3d samsung, and it's awesome. I posted the link to what one in Tunst's thread I'll try to dig it out.

Given what you've written about taking or leaving 3d, I think it's a great novelty. If you just fancy something different you can sit down with the OH one night and watch a 3d film in total pitch black up properly loud. I've only probably watched 4 3d films since getting the tv but it makes a nice change.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Ah well I've posted in here hoping to hear real feedback from people who've bought / work selling etc because we both know a good salesperson will tell you whatever they think you want to hear. I don't view curved as a gimmick but am seeing passed the initial 'it looks pretty' phase.

Gimmicks / extra gadgets aside we're ultimately after the best 55" for the money we have to spend without wishing in 2 years we'd bought X, Y or Z instead :)

That I think is looking like a traditional non curved as we're putting lounge furniture in next year and wall mounting the TV becomes an option as well.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
No curved
No 4K
LG/Samsung/Sony all much of a muchness. Pick one of them in a screen size you want and as much as you can afford
aaaaand done

SQ5
Agree with @Cookie, but I have no idea why Panasonic isn't in the list, that tops them all.

Only go 4k if your spending £3k on the screen and it upscales.

If your planning on another TV in three years then don't bother with 4K yet.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Still the best non-OLED TV, but supply must now be gone? My only regret is that I didn't buy the 65" version. I want it now but but it doesn't appear anywhere has stock.

It's near unicorn status now.

I'm pinning my hopes on OLED. Gonna keep an eye on LG this coming year. I want a size upgrade to at least 65", but there's nothing currently on sale that cuts the mustard in terms of black level and screen uniformity. OLED Is the future, but it appears only LG are continuing to push it commercially.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Until we get 4k standards sorted I'm doing nothing. At this rate we may as well go directly to 8k.

Broadcasters need to sort this s**t out. Sky doesn't even (and technically can't with current hardware) do 1080p yet!

Wise, but personally I don't care much about broadcasting. I'll most likely go for LG's first 65" OLED when it's less that five big ones, and NOT curved.