ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Custom Airbox

Skoda Fabia vRS

im considering making my own air box, and using an element filter from another car to gain more surface area

what could i make one from ?

Skoda Fabia vRS

how easy is fibreglass to work with, how cheap is it ?

is there any info on the web of how to work with it ?

my brother and uncle are fibre glassers by trade, when u have plans for the airbox, let me know, ill get my bro to get materials from work... and try it out.

make sure itll fit a williams!

Its very easy tou can get it in sheet form and you just mould it round and put on the resin (sorry my spelling is sh*t.) and wait for it to dry its grate stuff quite cheep and strong too. you can get it from most car shops

fibre galss is a pain if your new to it, sticky, hard, and rough......makinga decent mould i hard.....

try cheese.....

BMW 320d Sport

Thats the kind of thing I like - people who arent afraid to try and build and mod stuff for themselves and do something no-one else has done. Id say avoid working with metal unless youre good at welding and dont mind it weighing a ton. Pop riveting is a bodge - I know cos Ive tried it!

I think fibreglass has got to be the best option, cheap and easy to form into the shape you want. You just need to learn how to use it, something which I havent learnt yet! Build your shape out of wood then glass inside it to get the box shape you want. The hardest part will be the connection to the throttle body. Its a real sh*t - Im trying to hook up my carbon airbox to it via a hose and its not fun, still havent succeeded. But if youre gonna fix a plate to it(the back wall of the box), it shouldnt be too bad.

BTW Ive posted info about my carbon airbox experiment on another thread here somewhere...see what you think.

Skoda Fabia vRS

cheers Nick, posted over at RSC too and Nigel has given me a great idea, i can see the thing in my head now, i just need to make it

where can i get fibreglass from, and how do i form it all, do i need a specific type ?

BMW 320d Sport

Just get it from Halfords. Thats where I looked when I was thinking of remodelling my front bumper. Theyve got the sheets of it and all the stuff you need. Theres probably other places you could go where the trade get all their stuff but I dont know it.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

if you need help, you know ill have a go at it! Scoop is finished, just making brackets to keep it tight by the mesh now. I think im getting the hang of the fibre glassing now, at first it was a bit fiddly to work with.

williams and trophy

i have quite an amount of pure aviation spec carbon fibre sheet here, lol

perks of the last job hehe....iv tried gettin someone to mould the plug cover eng. mount cover and injector cover in the stuff.

they reckon itll retail at about £100 for all 3 if enough intrest is offered

anyone intrested?

jon

BMW 320d Sport

How much for you to make me an entire carbon fibre bonnet Jon? Including an exact replica of the original scoop and everything? £100 the lot?

williams and trophy

lol

would cost about 7x that just for the carbon mate...retails at bout £50 a square metre............they make the f1 bodies out of this stuff for fux sake lol