ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cutting Front springs

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Clio RT
whats everyones views/ideas on cutting the front springs to lower it, just for a short time till i buy a lowering kit. i'll be adjusting the rear torsion bar to lower the back and a friend said cut the front springs. just curious...

renault clio 1.4 si 2000
lol, the bloke who owns the garage i use has fond memories of cutting springs when they all used to mod mini's capri's etc, and of the falling out and breaking, it's all bad, you can get springs 2nd hand for like sub £50, and why have to go through the massive hassle of taking it all apart to fit once you do buy some?
get some eibach's, keep em peeled for some 2nd hand, about £80 usually, handles like a dream. do it right, and you won't regret it :)

Clio 1.2
just wait. the spring is designed to take a certian amount of pressure throughout the whole thing. by shortening it you increase the pressure over a smaller area. Just wait until you can do it properly, just think, if you cause a crash because you've cut the springs and they've popped off....

Clio RT
cheers guys, looks like ill be waiting then, any idea how much someone will charge to do it, or how to do it myself?

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
i'd say around £50 for a garrage to do two springs but there easy peasy would take a first timer only around an hour and half, do them yourself plenty of guides on here to help you through it

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Definitely a good idea if you want to wreck your car ! :nono:

just wait. the spring is designed to take a certian amount of pressure throughout the whole thing. by shortening it you increase the pressure over a smaller area. Just wait until you can do it properly, just think, if you cause a crash because you've cut the springs and they've popped off....

^ Correct. Instead of the top of the spring contacting the chassis with a full circle (IYSWIM), all the weight and pressure is on one little dot of the cross-section of the spring.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
lol, the bloke who owns the garage i use has fond memories of cutting springs when they all used to mod mini's capri's etc, and of the falling out and breaking, it's all bad, you can get springs 2nd hand for like sub £50, and why have to go through the massive hassle of taking it all apart to fit once you do buy some?
get some eibach's, keep em peeled for some 2nd hand, about £80 usually, handles like a dream. do it right, and you won't regret it :)

Even cheaper if he only needs front springs. Around £50-60 new

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pa...html?car=renaultclio;category=loweringsprings

so 2nd hand must be quite cheap.

How many fuckwits in one week do we have to have on here asking this question. Please do, it will do the genepool a favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.