ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cutting out when starting from cold (ph1 172)

Sunflower Ph1 172
Ph1 172 for reference.

The past few days my revs have been sticking at 2k, which I've diagnosed as a sticky throttle body. So I'll be cleaning that up later this week. However another problem popped up recently, and I was wondering whether I might be able to sort it whilst cleaning to throttle body.

When starting the car from cold the revs seem to drop and cut out if I don't press the accelerator to keep it running. This mornng was especially bad and I had to rev teh engine a good 4/5 times to stop it from cutting out. The other day I was reversing off a mates drive and it kept wanting to cut out (revs dropping to ~500rpm). After a few seconds the car is fine, revs and idles normally (when throttle isn't sticking). I don't think the symptoms are related to the sticking throttle, but any help wuold be appreciated.

Just to give you a little more insight. When I got the car the engine management light randomly came on whilst driving down the motorway a few months ago, but didn't affect performance or idling at the time. Obviously if another fault has come up since (sensor failure or something) the there would be no other way of telling (as the light was already on). Is this typical of a lambda sensor problem?

PH1 172
How old is the lambda sensor?

If you have 2, swap them over to check if pre cat one is faulty. If you only have 1 then the only way of checking is to get a new one NWPERFORMANCE sell the cheapest I have found.

Sunflower Ph1 172
How old is the lambda sensor?

If you have 2, swap them over to check if pre cat one is faulty. If you only have 1 then the only way of checking is to get a new one NWPERFORMANCE sell the cheapest I have found.

I have no idea how old it is, I imagine it's original, but it is running a sports cat. I think it's running twin lambda being a ph1 but I'll have to double check.

Sunflower Ph1 172
I would hazard a guess that your IAC valve is dirty and sticking/ struggling to move fast enough

Well it did it again this morning, and I noticed that if I knock the car out of gear or dip the clutch whilst moving the revs seem to rise and fall betweek 1200-2000rpm. I don't know where the ICV is located on the 172 if you have any idea?

Mine used to do that before I changed the IACV.. Though mine had a hole in the housing which caused an air leak sometimes.
Its on the back of the inlet manifold near the TB. I think from memory its above the OR in sport.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
I was thinky maybe ICV or the other sensor opposite it? What are the 2 small sensors on the inlets for?

The small one is the air temp sensor and the bigger one on the LHS as you're looking at it is the MAP (pressure) sensor

Golf GTD Mk7
ICV is next to the TB mate. It's a black plastic thing that sticks up at the rear of the body. Sort of the size of a finger.

You don't need a pic we've just told you where it is and what it looks like! it has an electrical connector on top of it and 2 10mm bolts holding it on.

Golf GTD Mk7
IMG_0009.jpg

The thing that's sticking up between the O and R ;)

Sunflower Ph1 172
You don't need a pic we've just told you where it is and what it looks like! it has an electrical connector on top of it and 2 10mm bolts holding it on.

Sorry, didn't see the below post before replying...

ICV is next to the TB mate. It's a black plastic thing that sticks up at the rear of the body. Sort of the size of a finger.

IMG_0009.jpg

The thing that's sticking up between the O and R ;)

Cheers guys.