ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cv joints leaking both sides and inside..safe to drive?

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
I have 3 leaks by the looks of it. Leaking on both outer cv's spreading greece on discs and abs sensor one side. Cant quite see where its leaking from as it had a new cv clip only days ago. The other side hasnt spread so bad, just can see it on the wheel and around the hub.

The most concerning leak is on the inner cv boot drivers side. Seems to be leaking every rotation and has made quite a mess. I can see a split there, where the rubber joins the metal. Doesnt look like a wear mark or corrosion. I THINK it might have happened when the engine came out and there was some stress to the joint maybe or it got pinched?

My question is this: Is it ok (other than making a mess) to drive? Until i can get it looked at? Basically just did a 350 round mile round trip (this is when i noticed the issue) and found the only issue to be the front brakes seem less responsive and the abs kicks in randomly. Im assuming this is the greece on the discs/pads?

Any feedback appriciated, will be hopefully getting it looked at ASAP.

Megane dci 130
Should be ok to drive. The reason the abs is kicking in is because the cv boot strap is inbetween the sensor and the reluctor ring. Take this out and it should be ok.

ValverInBits
no, not ok to drive. If you loose the grease out of the boots you will quickly wear the CV joint. Then you need new driveshafts. Plus driving with greasy discs is not the smartest thing to do.
If you work on cars yourself then whip the shafts out and get eurocarparts (or similar) to deliver you some new boots and CV grease.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Just whipped the car up prior to it raining that's how i found the above. But i dont have the time tp wait for delivery or space to have the car up and in peices as i have work tomorrow morning and work in a location which is not possible to get to other than by car. The only option i have is to take the day off tommorrow and get the car booked back in the place it had the cv clips done etc? Still that involve driving to get there :(

1.2 8v MK2 clio
I drove 200 miles before getting my faulty CV joined replaced, luckily I did not get any brake contamination. You should be able to feel how bad the joints are by how much the steering moves about when you accelerate and by any grinding or clicking noises when moving.

Avoid motorway driving when you do drive it, because what can happen if it fails is that the wheel could lock up. The other thing that is more likely to happen is that it would fail and you would lose drive.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
CV JOINT itself is fine, its just the boots leaking EVERYWHERE. I have no choice really but to drive it and to hope for the best that i can get it fixed ASAP i suppose :(