ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

D40 advice please

Porsche Boxster987S
Old camera with the standard lens.

I am looking for a basic guide to capturing the best night time images. Star trails or generally starry sky pictures is my goal. I have a tripod and remote. Can I have some idiots guide type does and don'ts please. Away to Loch Ness at a log cabin from tomorrow so I want to capture a few special pics. It's been a long time since I've used the dslr.

Thanks!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
As low as you can go with your lens. F3.5?
Manual focus to infinity. Manual setting on the camera-
Iso- try every setting. I'm not sure the handling of the D40. I usually shoot around 4000 though on my 6d.

Depending on focal length of lens (18-55?) 18mm at 20-25 seconds.

Porsche Boxster987S
Thanks! To create a star trail will I need some sort of computer editing to stack or can it just be done during the capture?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
It's easier stacking them. Gives you a chance to get the setup right and have a look at the composition etc. If you are stacking then you can set the shutter to 30 seconds. Make sure you have any long exposure compensation turned off or you will get gaps in the trail due to the camera repeating the exposure time without opening the shutter.
Search for Starstax, its free and pretty simple. Or if you have photoshop, open all of the images as layers and then use lighten mode.
Starstax is easiest though.