ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

D80 upgrade or new lens

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I'll be making a purchase shortly, not sure whether to go for a sigma 10-20mm for my d40, or to sod the lens and upgrade to a D80. Main reason being the lack of auto focus on the d40.

Other option is to "downgrade" and get a d50, which will auto focus with my 50mm f1.8 and get the sigma too.....

D

dick

id take the d50 over a d40 anyday of the week. seems more user friendly, slightly bigger, button placement etc, AF motor.

altho smaller screen and aparatnly slightly worse in high ISO...

Last edited by a moderator:
  Cupra
Get a loan and go for the D300. I had a play with one last week and fell in love. If there was any way I could afford it, I would leave Canon like a shot!

Suzuki Ignis
'Downgrade' to the D50 and get the lens. I have a D50 and dont find it to bad at high ISO. If you can afford it though, go for the D300. Im getting one in 7weeks when i go to New York:D

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i would hold tight for a while on the changing cam bodies... some new nikons out again soon and the d200's etc will be coming up stupid cheap.... will have a word with the place i get my stuff from they had some very cheap nikon bodies going the other week nearly got a d300 as a back up for myself the other day... was looking at 40% off retail... but turned it down as i now have a backup d2x anyway the d300 is very nice though... and no i cant get it at that price for anyone else before u ask lol its cos i went in there and spent stupid money on medium format stuff lol

Are D200s really getting very cheap? They were always in fairly short supply anyway, I've been waiting and waiting for a cheap one to come up and haven't seen anything, so I'm thinking more of the D80 for my upcoming Birthday as there is no glass I want.

I would go with the D50 option myself, look around and you should find a good one (if it's second-hand ask for the shutter actuations), that will free up the lens options quite significantly.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
picked up a D50 (body only) today, looks in mint condition, and the guy has really looked after it - not bad for £160. Only thing i'm not keen on is the smaller screen and the zooming method using the scroll wheel. Its pretty big, and a lot heavier than the D40. The auto focus motor is noisy too! Feels like i'm holding a proper camera now though, which wasn't also the case with the lighweight d40.

Also got bought rasclarts sigma 10-20mm, which i've wanted for ages. Can't wait to try them out this weekend.