ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best place to find quality new or refurbed calipers?

clio 172 ph2
Hi all!

Im looking to refresh the brakes on my Clio 172 Ph2. Id prefer to buy new (if they are even possible to find) or already refurbished calipers + brackets.
I saw a lot of calipers on autodoc but most, if not all, are refurb and i dont know if they are good quality or not.
could someone point me in the correct way?

While im at it i might as well go for a small upgrade so im considering to go with Laguna Mk1 calipers.
I read on here they are a straight fit on the clio but have a bit bigger piston and can use the clio pads. is this correct?
I cant go 4pot brembo as i need brackets for those and belgian MOT doesnt allow that. So kinda looking for straight fit upgraded brakes. Does someone have any suggestions?

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I recently replaced my front calipers and carriers on my 182 with some refurbished genuine ones from SSL Autoparts on eBay and I'm very impressed with them. They paint them in any colour you request and offer £100 cashback for returning your old calipers and carriers. Don't know what the cost of postage and import fees would be like for shipping to Belgium though, it may be cheaper to just buy a caliper rebuild kit and do them yourself, or take them to a garage and have them rebuild them for you.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Can't help you with the upgrade part, but I bought a used set of calipers so I had use of the car, then sent them off to SSL autoparts on eBay and had them refurbed in silver and they look excellent. Plus they perform well (my rear calipers were a bit knackered). Fair bit cheaper than some of the other people offering the same service too which was a bonus.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Ah forgot you weren't in the UK, I expect postage would be spiteful if you used SSL. Absolutely possible to do yourself with a bit of patience and a kit from bigg red though.

clio 172 ph2
Can't help you with the upgrade part, but I bought a used set of calipers so I had use of the car, then sent them off to SSL autoparts on eBay and had them refurbed in silver and they look excellent. Plus they perform well (my rear calipers were a bit knackered). Fair bit cheaper than some of the other people offering the same service too which was a bonus.
Thanks! It shows it doesn't post to Belgium, and I guess import taxes would be kinda high and it might also be a problem to send my old calipers back. I'll send them a message and see if they might make an exception.

clio 172 ph2
Alright, first of all, thank you all for the input.
I think ill go with rebuild calipers from Bosch on autodoc.
They are not to expensive and look the most like genuine calipers from renault but rebuild and from a company i trust.
Looking on ebay or more local to get rebuild calipers didn't really gave many result. (or expensive, or poor quality, sketchy, ...)

One more question. Currently i'm running CL RC5+ pads. I freaking love the feel of them but the dust they generate is absurd.
I also noticed they started to crack so in the bin they go. I used DS2500 pads before the CL pads but i didn't like them.
So i'm looking for pads with the braking feel of CL pads (especially initial stopping power) but without the dust.
I heard great things about DS1.11 pads but i'm open for other suggestions.
If i change compoundtypes, would it be a good idea to also change the discs? or should it be okay with a good cleaning and maybe a light pass with sandpaper?

Last edited:

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
DS1.11 from cold they squeal like crazy and the initial bite isn't that great

The dust from them is pretty bad too. Try PBS ProRace, I found mine were decent enough from cold but took serious abuse even when on a hot trakcday

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Alright, first of all, thank you all for the input.
I think ill go with rebuild calipers from Bosch on autodoc.
They are not to expensive and look the most like genuine calipers from renault but rebuild and from a company i trust.
Looking on ebay or more local to get rebuild calipers didn't really gave many result. (or expensive, or poor quality, sketchy, ...)

One more question. Currently i'm running CL RC5+ pads. I freaking love the feel of them but the dust they generate is absurd.
I also noticed they started to crack so in the bin they go. I used DS2500 pads before the CL pads but i didn't like them.
So i'm looking for pads with the braking feel of CL pads (especially initial stopping power) but without the dust.
I heard great things about DS1.11 pads but i'm open for other suggestions.
If i change compoundtypes, would it be a good idea to also change the discs? or should it be okay with a good cleaning and maybe a light pass with sandpaper?
CL6 I found too bitey. They were either on or off. Better on bigger, heavier cars I reckon, not a 920kg 182.
Pagid RS42 had a better feel than the CL6. More Linear but didn't have the same stopping power. Suffered brake fade with these.
DS1.11 best all round pads i've used (DS2500 in the rear). Never really noticed the dust and mine never squealed.

Never used PBS but my mates ran them on their 182 and rated them. Their car was road/track. Mine was a pure circuit car.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Having tried a few different pads over the 10 or so years I’ve had Clio 1*2’s the DS1.11’s are so far the standouts for me, fantastic pad even though they are £300 now I will be repurchasing when required. No major noise and dust is fine for a pure trackday pad, although I probably wouldn’t be using them on a fast road car mind you.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I recently replaced my front calipers and carriers on my 182 with some refurbished genuine ones from SSL Autoparts on eBay and I'm very impressed with them. They paint them in any colour you request and offer £100 cashback for returning your old calipers and carriers. Don't know what the cost of postage and import fees would be like for shipping to Belgium though, it may be cheaper to just buy a caliper rebuild kit and do them yourself, or take them to a garage and have them rebuild them for you.
+1 for these guys, i got a set for my 172 Exclusive and they are lovely!
IMG_20220508_122245.jpg

IMG_20220508_132315_hdr.jpg

Clio 172
Some great feedback on winmax W5 and W6.
I’ll likely try them after my Pagid yellow are done