ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DAB help please?

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My work radio has DAB written on it. How do I use this function?!

Do I need an Ariel?

I'm fucked off with radio one and with the normal Ariel it's the only station I can pick up cleanly.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Based on radios I've used in the past, you just press the 'band' button to cycle through FM/AM/DAB etc etc. Then scan for stations. Got a pic or link to the radio in question?

Volvo XC60 T8
Accidently turned on radio 1 the other day, some knobber called 'grimmy' put on a song about selfies FFS.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
ete4y5an.jpg

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I would have thought DAB still requires an aerial, but you might be able to pick up some stations if the signal is strong.

As Scott says, the BAND button is likely the way to go, or a button that is FM/DAB.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Press the DAB AUTO SCAN button on top then press the + (ENTER) button.

f**king hero! It works!

Although I need an Ariel because it won't pick anything up.

I assume any old dab Ariel off eBay will be ok?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
My pure DAB radios don't have aerials. Well they do but only for FM transmissions.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Come on Al ffs! You're talking to a car washer! Slow down a bit, explain yourself...

Haha I sound like I know what I'm talking about???

I think my DAB radios have inbuilt aerials, I'd expect yours to have something similar unless it's been ripped off at some point. What's the model number of the radio? I might be able to find an online manual :)

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Here's the manual.

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3293641311.pdf

"Before you can receive DAB, you must complete the DAB Automatic Scan procedure (see “Before using the system”).
1 Select “TUNER DAB,”“TUNER FM” or “TUNER AM.” Press FUNCTION +/ (or FUNCTION on the unit)
 repeatedly. You can also select DAB directly by pressing DAB AUTO SCAN  on the unit.
2 Select the tuning mode.
Press TUNING MODE  repeatedly until “AUTO”
appears.
3 Tune in the desired station.
Press +/ (or TUNE +/ on the unit) . Scanning stops automatically when a station is tuned in, and then “TUNED” and “STEREO” (for stereo programs only) appear."

"With a DAB external antenna (not supplied), you can obtain higher DAB broadcast sound quality. We recommend that you use the supplied FM/DAB lead antenna only temporarily until you install a DAB external antenna."

Is an FM/DAB antenna attached (second input down)?

uzu3uze7.jpg

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My DAB antenna point is underneath the speaker outputs. Your picture is correct but it doesn't show the lower part of the stereo, where the antenna would live. If I had one.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Yep you're right.

a9ymedub.jpg

Instructions suggest a lead/antenna came with the radio, I presume you've no longer got it if it's not attached?

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yep you're right.

a9ymedub.jpg

Instructions suggest a lead/antenna came with the radio, I presume you've no longer got it if it's not attached?

Lol! Correct. Probably binned it I expect. I'm such a chump.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Al how have you done that?? I searched eBay yesterday "Sony DAB Ariel" and no results were found?!

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I only found out the other day that you need a new ariel for DAB!

Bought an aftermarket headunit which has DAB and then they tried to upsell me this hideous thing that I later found out was the DAB ariel.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Al how have you done that?? I searched eBay yesterday "Sony DAB Ariel" and no results were found?!

I have a magic ball bag!

In truth I just typed in the model number "cmt-bx70dbi", nothing else needed.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
My pleasure matey.

You might get away with a home made antenna (lots of DIYs on the web) but for the sake of £10 and all the effort I'd just get the one off eBay :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Surely a DAB radio should come with everything! Stupid thing!

I only found out the other day that you need a new ariel for DAB!

Bought an aftermarket headunit which has DAB and then they tried to upsell me this hideous thing that I later found out was the DAB ariel.

I swear you do lol? Most dab headunits come with a silly dab aerial in the box

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I swear you do lol? Most dab headunits come with a silly dab aerial in the box

That's what I put originally, haha.

That I had only found out the other day that you DO need a new aerial.

Mine didn't come with the headunit so they tried to upsell me it later.

Sticks to the front of your windscreen. I'd rather not have DAB!

DAB_ANT_E_BASIC_F.jpg

Attachments

• DAB_ANT_E_BASIC_F.jpg
    DAB_ANT_E_BASIC_F.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 42
That's what I put originally, haha.

That I had only found out the other day that you DO need a new aerial.

Mine didn't come with the headunit so they tried to upsell me it later.

Sticks to the front of your windscreen. I'd rather not have DAB!

My bad I misread it!
Yea I used to fit them when I worked at Halfords lol. Some come with a magnetic roof aerial, so I used to just run the wire along the roof lining and pop it out the boot behind the existing aerial.
What put me off them tbh. Such a faff!