ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Damm Dammm & bu@@er need new quarter glass

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
The car has been covered up a few weeks, just took cover off to charge the battery as I do every three or four weeks and found this damage:- it must of happened in the last few weeks but don't know when, it was not noticed until the car cover came off today.
It looks like side impact right at the top of the glass by something heavy like a metal pole, fortunately it has not caught the bodywork.

IMG_7348.JPG

IMG_7349.JPG

This is not currently covered by insurance, so have to finance the repair myself

Is the glass still available from Renault?

I am a bit miffed to say the least, and still investigating on how it happened, I don't think it was caused deliberate e.g. by an attempted break-in, maybe workmen, not sure yet, but in any case need it fixed.
I will need professionals as I wouldn't attempt DIY - so I may well get the windscreen replaced as well which has a few long term chips.

So looking on how best to deal with this -someone like Autoglass?

Will want a good job with original Renault glass if it is available as this is a cherished car.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
If your near Chester/Wrexham I’ve got a couple of spare rear quarter windows off a 172 you can have for free. Just needs the old sealant removing and there good to go.

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the offer Arch..
I am in contact with a local replacement company and hopefully they can sort it with some new Ren. glass, I expect to get the windscreen done at the same time. It'll be a big bill, but hey ho.
Cheers all that took an interest.

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
Update
The quarter glass was replaced by a local company, it's genuine Renault glass, dealership says this was the last piece in the country, I'm glad it matches.
At the same time, Renault also supplied the windscreen, despite supping them with VIN etc, it was the wrong screen, the fitters noticed it straight away, mumbling about it should be a 'heat reflective' screen (with the little square at the bottom).
So I am still awaiting the correct screen, meanwhile I got a new screen trim surround off RPD, as I expected this to get damaged when removing the screen.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Update
The quarter glass was replaced by a local company, it's genuine Renault glass, dealership says this was the last piece in the country, I'm glad it matches.
At the same time, Renault also supplied the windscreen, despite supping them with VIN etc, it was the wrong screen, the fitters noticed it straight away, mumbling about it should be a 'heat reflective' screen (with the little square at the bottom).
So I am still awaiting the correct screen, meanwhile I got a new screen trim surround off RPD, as I expected this to get damaged when removing the screen.
Seems like 2021 is the year for Clio parts going NLA?!

Glad to hear that you got the more important of the two bits of glass sorted though.

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
Seems like 2021 is the year for Clio parts going NLA?!

Glad to hear that you got the more important of the two bits of glass sorted though.

I guess we got to expect NLA now after 15+ years, RPD still have a few choice parts on their site, good service from them though- ordered parts Tuesday night, arrived this morning (Thursday).

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Nice, I need my screen replacing due to some chips and 20 years of scratches and have the trims here ready to go in. Was it much of an ordeal getting the correct Renault Sport glass?

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
Nice, I need my screen replacing due to some chips and 20 years of scratches and have the trims here ready to go in. Was it much of an ordeal getting the correct Renault Sport glass?
Yes it was, the first screen was incorrect even though Renault dealership insisted is was right (supplied the VIN), apparently there is something in the depths of the Ren system about it if they had checked, so they got it right second time. Not convinced it is worth the extra dosh though - the heat screen is £100+ extra, over the tinted one, and of course Renault price is inflated anyway.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Yes it was, the first screen was incorrect even though Renault dealership insisted is was right (supplied the VIN), apparently there is something in the depths of the Ren system about it if they had checked, so they got it right second time. Not convinced it is worth the extra dosh though - the heat screen is £100+ extra, over the tinted one, and of course Renault price is inflated anyway.
So did you not go through insurance? The heat screen is just uv coated isn't it?

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
When you get a replacement screen direct from Renault do you get that unique number etched in the glass like the original screen?

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
When you get a replacement screen direct from Renault do you get that unique number etched in the glass like the original screen?
No, the original screen was not etched, but think glass is etched on the side glass bur can't remember which one , the new screen is not etched either, has the Renault logo on nearside.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting thanks, just wondered because mine still has the etched numbers on all the glass, means it’s probably original then I guess.

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
So did you not go through insurance? The heat screen is just uv coated isn't it?
I thought the UV was in the laminate, not sure but hope so as UV coating tends to scratch.
The car has been laid up for a couple of years now, so had to sort it myself, I don't think most ins. would be interested in fitting manufacturers glass on a car of this age?

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting thanks, just wondered because mine still has the etched numbers on all the glass, means it’s probably original then I guess.

Only one glass is etched on mine, I was never sure if this was a security extra added by the dealership, may be someone will come along and say.
Both glasses replaced were the original factory fitments and neither were etched.