ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Darkening the Roof Lining

Can this be done without retrimming it? Some people have recommended spraying it with either black trim restorer or actual spray paint!

Maybe some sort of fabric dye? I want it to look OEM... just darker!

SQ5
Thinking exactly something yesterday!

It just doesn't match the rest of the interior, same with the a pillar covers.

RS200 & PH2 172
I've got a roof lining, ph2 if anyone wants to practice first, agree it looks daft so light and maybe some fabric dye diluted and then sprayed on might work :)

clio sold :(
Ive seen ppl spray parcel shelfs. Im sure its just the same but bigger :)
Dont no if it would rub off to the touch tho

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
fabric dye would be the ultimatum iircc, altho i would think you would have to remove the headline'n or it's going to go everywhere

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
i would have a goo but taking the grab handles off and sunvisors is a ballache, i had to order new fixing as they mangled assoon as i took them off.

it's on the ' todo' list tho as my interior is still dynamique state.

RS200 & PH2 172
Yeah the grab handles are a b!tch to say the least, visor ain't as bad but them handles didn't survive when I removed them due to not needing them to go back the old just pull it method worked....ish

BlackGold 182
removing the headlining is easy! but i doubt you will be able to use the grab handles again though. also you could use halfords enamel spray on it. but might be hard to get it completely even all over.

ive never done the headlining but this was an old parcel shelf on my zs..

before

IMG_0348.jpg

after

IMG_0351.jpg

Last edited:
  SQ5
Didn't feel matted though?

Friends Evo has that material in the roof and it now feels a bit crispy.

Normal black spray paint - car paint

It was a common trick when I was a valeter if a roof lining or parcel shelf was covered in marks - just mask everything up and spray it with a load of fine coats of car paint. Bizarrely it works really well and doesn't come back off when dry

Don't use lacquer or enamel as it will go crispy, and do several fine coats (don't go for full coverage on the first coat) or you'll apply to much and make the fibers stick together

TonkaTruck

ClioSport Club Member
  28k Trophy - R1200GS
Upholstery Spray:
e836cbfa.jpg

Carpet Dye:
file.php

Personally Carpet Dye looks like it gives the better finish.

SQ5
Last picture looks brilliant, exactly what I want. Is kind of the same colour as the Alcantara.

Do you know what products and methods were used?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
i pressume it would be a deep clean, then apply carpet dye in light coats until desired finish.

sure it can come in rattle cans

Ryan172

ClioSport Club Member
  Iceburg 172 ph2
I'd probably go for dark grey for an OEM feel. That's what I'm worried about though :dapprove:

That looks brilliant mate, was it easy to do?
Yeah doesn't take much to get the pillars and headlining off/down, once the headlining was down it went on the dining room table for the material to get measured out and cut then it was just a case off getting decent fabric glue and taking your time applying the fabric keeping the material fairly tight as your sticking It down. I opted not to put my grab handles back on and also kept my sunvisors and and interior light surround standard to break up the black a little. I know some people wasn't that keen when I 1st posted the picture up.

Mk2 Ph2 172
Check out Austin 182 trader now on here that can re trim the headliner in alcantara.... He done mine in my Clio

b8f363f3.jpg

It wouldn't be worth it for me as I rarely look at my roof lining ;) I may give that spray a go when I cba removing my lining... which I've heard is a ballache in itself!

Mk2 Ph2 172
Headliner is easy to remove and fit....
The grab Handles are a pain..... I bought new ones as you are more then likely will damage the old ones getting them out lol