ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dash rear fog light illuminates when I brake or indicate.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Now normally I would say this was down to corroded terminals on the light units but I had both off recently and checked them and there was no corrosion. Is there any other issues that could be causing this? Perhaps corrosion on a loom connector?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Now normally I would say this was down to corroded terminals on the light units but I had both off recently and checked them and there was no corrosion. Is there any other issues that could be causing this? Perhaps corrosion on a loom connector?

No-body? Im assuming that because i didn't see any corrosion on the rear lights then i can count them out? I didn't see the point in cleaning up otherwise corrosion free contacts...

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Will be the rear lamp connections, I had to adjust the pins slightly with a small screw driver on the connector block on mine.

Even if the connections look clean I would still suggest giving them a clean up with some sand paper.

Mine did this for 1 day last month and hasn't done it since, I also checked for corrosion and nothing was there, just wired, did you ever find out what it was?

1.2 16v
Is it actually bad when this happens? Mine does this all the time but so did the last clio I drove... Thought this was normal lol!

Racing Blue 182 Cup
Contact cleaner worked for me. Some swap the bulb carriers over from left to right too.

RB 182 cup
Its the bulb holsters, mine was doing it, i cleaned all the connectors up but didnt work, i had a spare set of holsters, changed them and they worked and the fog light on the dash stopped coming on

clio grande
Now normally I would say this was down to corroded terminals on the light units but I had both off recently and checked them and there was no corrosion ETC]

GUARANTEED SOLUTION HERE - NO PROBLEM AND COSTS NO MONEY. Spouse's clio exact same issue - you take the rear light cluster apart just as if for a bulb, but pull out the electrical connector. Ccontact 'prongs' sticking out of the connector for the indicator/brake, I think it is the third one down, but you can do the fix for all the prongs.

TWIST THE PRONG(S) a little IN THE CONNECTOR then they make proper contact - DONE!

clio grande
Sorry, should have said, the actual PROBLEM prong in the connector is the EARTH one, you can find it because it's the one common to all the bulbs in the cluster/bulb holder - ie there is a metal track that is common and that's the earth or negative, the return route to the battery for the electrons that have gone through your bulb filament to make it burn brightly! Another guy said there is a back-feed, this is correct, it's occurring because the earth route is not good enough, TWIST THE EARTH PRONG and refit - NO COST, just fine-nosed pliers (ie long pointy ones). DONE!