ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dash switching off

Every now and again my dash switches off for a second when I'm driving along. It usually does it just after I've started up and have driven for a 10 seconds or so. All the lights turn off and the gauges die too, then it lights up like I've just turned the ignition and goes back to normal. Engine, steering etc stay working the whole time.

It first did it last winter and I don't recall it doing it over the summer at all. It happened twice this weekend. Perhaps its the damp thats causing it? Occured a total of 10 times max.

Anybody else experienced this?

clio 1.9turbo diesel
all my lights on my dash have gone and theres sumet up with my headlights turnin off on there own aswell, all my dash is out at the mo trying trying 2 find the problem

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Sounds like the dying battery syndrome. Mine did it last winter. Dash loses power on start up and resets the trip counters.

Sounds like the dying battery syndrome. Mine did it last winter. Dash loses power on start up and resets the trip counters.

It does'nt happen straight after starting up though (if thats what you mean?). Rather shortly after I've pulled away. You say "dying battery syndrome" - you mean my battery is getting too old or just temporarily over-loaded?

mk2 1.2 16v
This happened to my car about a year ago aswell, all the lights and dials went off on the dash just a few mins after setting off then came back on again as if the ignition had just been turned, after which it was fine and its never done it since so didnt worry about it. Would still be interested to know what caused it though

Lou

My 182 is doing something weird too, when I adjust my main beam, if i dip it low the dash lights dull a bit but when i bring the lights back up the dash re-lights again.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

It does'nt happen straight after starting up though (if thats what you mean?). Rather shortly after I've pulled away. You say "dying battery syndrome" - you mean my battery is getting too old or just temporarily over-loaded?

I mean the battery is gettin to the end of its life. Will be over 4 years old now. Pretty much the average life of a battery.
Im not saying its gonna be the cure but i'd try a new battery as a matter of course.

I mean the battery is gettin to the end of its life. Will be over 4 years old now. Pretty much the average life of a battery.
Im not saying its gonna be the cure but i'd try a new battery as a matter of course.

Cheers Ollie. That seems like a logical explanation. If its the original battery it'll be over 5 years old.

Its not a major problem so I'm not too fussed. But I will replace the battery first before trying anything else.