ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Data robotics Drobo....thoughts?

Loads of people use them.

Quite new technology tho, so some people have a few issues - on the whole though, they're pretty good.

It does it's own redundancy stuff etc. Quite expensive for just the chassis.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
only uses 10% of storage for up to two drives to fall over, totally interchangeable sotrage, no need to match sizes etc. Just trying to firgure out if it's worth it, thought no one was using them. you know a few people who are then?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
thinking about it for use at home, hd movies take up a lot of space and it's nicely expandable up to 4tb hard drives in each block (which don't even exist yet!)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
yeh but that one is like a grand....without the benefits of the intermixed storage and redundancy cost.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i'm pretty sure i'm getting one with x1 1.5tb hard drive, expand as needed i rkeon.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
nah you can use one disk you just dont get redundancy. which is fine as i don't even get it at the moment, i'll get x2 when i need them.

nah you can use one disk you just dont get redundancy. which is fine as i don't even get it at the moment, i'll get x2 when i need them.

Erm, that's the whole point of the Drobo tho... haha.

Just get two drives.. ;)

182FF with cup packs
only uses 10% of storage for up to two drives to fall over, totally interchangeable sotrage, no need to match sizes etc. Just trying to firgure out if it's worth it, thought no one was using them. you know a few people who are then?

Not true.

If you check out the calculator for capacities: http://www.drobo.com/Products/drobolator.html

You'll see that if you have 2 * 250GB drives, you will get 231.2GB of storage space as 232.4GB is used for "protection" (i.e. parity data), but if you add a 3rd drive, it still uses about 232GB for protection.

If you notice from there, if you use mis-matched sized drives, you won't actually get the most out of it. i.e. if you use a 250gb and a 1tb drive, you only get the usable space of 2*250 drives (i.e. 250GB) and the rest is "reserved for expansion".

I would say that it's great for home use, but you won't get as much storage out of it as you thought you might, and for business use you might as well get yourself a proper raid array to use.

i'm pretty sure i'm getting one with x1 1.5tb hard drive, expand as needed i rkeon.

Very much a waste of time. If you check out the calculator you'll see that having a single 1.5TB drive in it will actually only give you 697.2GB of storage.

I would say, if you have multiple drives knocking around and only want an external drive for a single PC then it's pretty good. If you're going to buy all of the drives at the same time and you want multiple PC's accessing it, you're probably better off going with something like the QNAP devices as they act as true NAS.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
what r u boys on about, the whole point for me is having adjustable storage as i need. i've got 2.7 atm which is rammed, need more, 1.5 will do me till i expand again, thats the point for me as i don't want any more hdd's in my pc, my psu won't copewith it as i'm getting a new g card soon... plus i don't want the heat in there...so i'm getting this and x1 FireWire800 PCI card to move stuff onto it. i'm getting my 1.5tb hard drive so leave me alone :p

182FF with cup packs
what r u boys on about, the whole point for me is having adjustable storage as i need. i've got 2.7 atm which is rammed, need more, 1.5 will do me till i expand again, thats the point for me as i don't want any more hdd's in my pc, my psu won't copewith it as i'm getting a new g card soon... plus i don't want the heat in there...so i'm getting this and x1 FireWire800 PCI card to move stuff onto it. i'm getting my 1.5tb hard drive so leave me alone :p

See my bit above, if you want 1.5TB in that device you will need to buy 2 * 1.5TB drives (and that will only actually get you 1.4TB).

So to get 1.5TB of storage you could pay £300+ for the chassis, then 2 * £100 for the drives. Or you could pay £100 for the single drive and pickup a usb/firewire external enclosure for £10, or you could splash out and buy one of the ones with a NAS interface that you can daisy chain off of each other for £40 (like this http://shenztech.com/code/ui/product/product.aspx?prdid=NAS-STR8132&subcatid=9)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i think you've clearly, and VASTLY misunderstood the point of having this device. i'll stick 1.5 in, fine i don't get 1.5 but i don't care because i can upgrade it when i need it...understand??

182FF with cup packs
Obviously i have misunderstood then, what it seems you should have actually posted was "I'm buying this new gadget, isn't it cool" as opposed to what you asked which seemed to be "i want some expandable external storage, this looks like it might do the trick, have you any advice on this"

i was just trying to offer the advice THAT WAS ASKED FOR!

If you want to go and spend over £400 on something that you can do for less than half that go ahead, I was just giving you some options.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
explain to me how then how to get that amount of storage (....incorporating redundancy, speed, ethernet options, hot swappability and no need to keep the same size drive for each slot into one nice tidy box), with hard drives in seperate caddies?

my post was thoughts and experience with the device. Not sure i know i could get a load of external jobbies but i wouldn't save much if i wanted redundancy would i?..

I think you're getting confused with the fact i'm buying x1 1.5tb hard drive...my point as i've said before is that i will be expanding that as i need to without the need to buy all the drives up front and risk them either coming down in price or max sizes increasing in the mean time

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
not using it on a network like that anyway, home use. won't be till next month till i can afford the b**ch though!