ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dawn of War III

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yes indeed! Shame I haven't got a decent PC to run it...

Have you seen the trailer for the new Space Hulk game? That looks pretty epic too!
Not yet. I'll have a look for that though. :up:

If Relic combined the Dawn of War theatres with the gameplay of their other RTS franchise (Company of Heroes) - I think we'd be seeing strategy nirvana.....

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Not yet. I'll have a look for that though. :up:

If Relic combined the Dawn of War theatres with the gameplay of their other RTS franchise (Company of Heroes) - I think we'd be seeing strategy nirvana.....
I've added the link to my previous post.

I'm a big fan of company of heroes, and I agree if you were to combine the two, it would be something rather special!

Listerine & Poledo
Seems to be a lot of Games Workshop games coming out!
Since a plastic marine probably now costs £20 and younger games are less likely to leave the house to go to a shop, getting on PC and console is their best move really.

Revenue

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Really hope they bring back the base building from DOW1. Much as I enjoyed the squad / wargear from DOW2, I did miss building a f*ck off base, loaded up with turrets and mounting a fixed defence in skirmish mode.
Base building is an RTS given. It should be a core requirement of every worthy game in the genre.

There's little better than just about fending off the attackers in the early phase and continuing to hold them off as your base gets bigger and stronger. Ultimately, you create a powerhouse from which to deploy your units and take the fight to them.

Likewise, finding the weak areas of an opposing base is just as rewarding. That breakthrough section into which your forces can rush in and create allsorts of havoc.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm been toying with the idea of getting a PC again, loved DoW so much, this could tip me over the edge...
Only thing that's annoying is we have terrible internet connection so all these new games that require huge updates would be rather annoying :p
Maybe will dig out the old shuttle pc that's boxed up in the garage and fire up some DoW and C&C Generals again ;)

Mito Sportiva 135
Sorry not been on here much of late - I would be tempted to get a new PC just for this and X Com 2! Very jealous :(

We do have the new Deathwing game coming to console though which looks like it could be fun!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm been toying with the idea of getting a PC again, loved DoW so much, this could tip me over the edge...
Only thing that's annoying is we have terrible internet connection so all these new games that require huge updates would be rather annoying :tongueout:
Maybe will dig out the old shuttle pc that's boxed up in the garage and fire up some DoW and C&C Generals again :wink:

Sorry not been on here much of late - I would be tempted to get a new PC just for this and X Com 2! Very jealous 😧

We do have the new Deathwing game coming to console though which looks like it could be fun!

Chaps - not sure if you're aware, but if you're used to the console, TV and sofa setup - there's a brilliant device for the PC called Steam Link

http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/

It's a small device - less than a DVD case in size and sits between your TV and router. Use it to connect a HDMI lead to your TV and a network cable to your router - then fire up Steam on your PC, wherever that is in the house.

They actively seek each other out - and simply need a PIN code for each device to sync. Once done, you can control, access and play the entire Steam library on your PC from the comfort of sofa - it transfers the image from the PC straight to the TV. The Steam Link box has three USB ports on it - I simply attach my 360 pad to it and away I go. I've also tried keyboard and mouse into it too and that works fine - though I'd rather sit at my PC anyway, if I was playing a game that needed those.

Mito Sportiva 135
a. What if my PC is rubbish?
b. Using a mouse on my lap on the sofa doesn't sound great...

I currently have my PC hooked up via HDMI to my 50" plasma - it's more just it's not very powerful and my internet is really slow

Mito Sportiva 135
Yep! I've got Halo Wars 2 to look forward to, Supreme Commander 2 on the 360 was surprisingly fun too (sadly not been made backwards compatible with the One though, although Halo Wars 1 now is)

Mito Sportiva 135
I am so upset this isn't coming to consoles - I LOVED the original. Dark Crusade was such a great concept at the time.
I always wanted to be able to customise my army and units more though like you can with the models (both visually, lore wise and upgrades/loadouts). Will you be able to do anything like this with the latest installment?
This is the type of game I would be happy to watch others play - to my shame I often watched pro vids of Supreme Commander 1 and 2 online as my PC couldn't hack them!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I am so upset this isn't coming to consoles - I LOVED the original. Dark Crusade was such a great concept at the time.
I always wanted to be able to customise my army and units more though like you can with the models (both visually, lore wise and upgrades/loadouts). Will you be able to do anything like this with the latest installment?
This is the type of game I would be happy to watch others play - to my shame I often watched pro vids of Supreme Commander 1 and 2 online as my PC couldn't hack them!
Time to come to the Master Race..... :smilingimp:

Mito Sportiva 135
Tempting! But I am getting married and I've just bought a new car so not feeling that my mrs wouldn't want to stab me if I did! In the long term I want to get a good 4K monitor and use that for a gaming PC and a new Xbox Scorpio...although I don't think I'll have time to use either!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Tempting! But I am getting married and I've just bought a new car so not feeling that my mrs wouldn't want to stab me if I did! In the long term I want to get a good 4K monitor and use that for a gaming PC and a new Xbox Scorpio...although I don't think I'll have time to use either!
I'm sure she'd understand - keeping you happy and all that :wink:.

I'll be intrigued to see what direction DoW3 takes. I really liked DoW2 in particular- so just a follow up of that would be good enough. Any new features or game modes would clearly be nice too.

Mito Sportiva 135
I didn't play DOW2 but I think my ideal game would be the first one, with larger maps / more units, a continuation of the whole meta-campaign idea and more customisation options for veterans. In the first one, you could only upgrade your commander but it would be good if you 'won' upgrades for winning a match and you could decide what it was and apply it to different veteran units. Also more unique abilities and units for each commander would be cool. This is something they've implemented and balanced well with Halo Wars 2 - so when playing cooperatively you have different strengths and weaknesses to exploit.

Just give me something half way between DoW1 and Supreme Commander and I could die happy.

DoW2 was a bit disappointing because they neutered the base-building aspect.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just give me something half way between DoW1 and Supreme Commander and I could die happy.

DoW2 was a bit disappointing because they neutered the base-building aspect.
Base building makes an RTS for me. It seems to have fallen a bit out of favour recently - instead having the players rely on powerful individual units.

Yep, the Company of Heroes effect - great game, but it split the genre.

For me I think Red Alert 2 was the apex of the RTS genre - you could be a base builder, but you had to be aggressive with certain scenarios as well, not just turtle and deploy a swarm of tesla/prism tanks to beat your enemy.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The Beta is out soon, for sign-up.... @Brand86

Dawn of War III is almost here! We’re so excited to finally release the most spectacular Dawn of War title yet on April 27. Before we do that though, there’s one more thing that you guys have been asking for since we announced…

The Dawn of War III Multiplayer Open Beta will run from April 21 at 10AM PST until April 24 at 10AM PST! Register now at www.dawnofwar.com/beta

This is your chance to go hands on with Dawn of War III’s multiplayer mode – a showcase of what makes this most intense, chaotic, and strategic Dawn of War yet! The beta will provide access to all three factions, as well as a selection of maps, Elite units, and Doctrines from the full game! More details about what's included in the beta are available here!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Running my new machine without a GPU until next month when I get my hands on one, but been playing DoW Dark Crusade again to death on it and it's been fun :)

Looking forward to this a lot.