ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Daytime MOT

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Im aware that you can get an MOT to cover you only for daytime use, and will therefore not need headlights.

my question however is, with a regular MOT, can you remove the headlights and fit headlight blanks, providing youre only driving in the daytime??

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Under the section 1.1 of the class 3,4,5 and 7 mots (which are cars/vans) titled "Front and Rear Position lamps and Registration Plate Lamps"

This inspection applies to
all vehicles, except those which either have no front or rear positionlamps or have such lamps permanentlydisconnected, painted over or masked that are:

only used during daylight hours, and

not used at times of seriously reduced visibility.

If this situation occurs, the vehicle presenter shouldbe issued with a VT32 (advisory notice) recordingthe above.

Stop lamps are not required to be fitted to
vehicles used only during the hours of daylight, which are fitted with neither front nor rear position lamps, etc. (See 1.1.A).

A rear fog lamp is not required to be fitted to
vehicles used only during the hours of daylight, which are fitted with neither front nor rear position lamps, etc. (See 1.1.A).

this goes on for directional lights, hazards and reflectors

it does exist, but its not a separate mot, its a regular MOT with a big old vt32 advisory on it!! not really sure where that leaves you if youre driving to a trackday with the lights removed.

Evo 8 MR
I'd suggest speaking to an MOT tester. They should be able to give you the best advice.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I think it will state on the that your car is only suitable for daytime use. Without this, as your car has been modified from the time of last MOT, it would technically not be valid. Im not sure how it would even be legal, even if it got an MOT of this type - surely no stop lights could casue a major crash?!