ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DCi 65bhp to 85 bhp

Burgandy 174 sport t

DCi 65BHP, 85BHP WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IN THE TWO ENGINES CAN YOU GET THE 65 UP TO THE 85 WITH A CHIP? ANYONE DONE THIS.

You can get a chip, Search in the For Sale forum, someone was selling them in there! Ive only been in a 65 bhp. Quite nippy for what it is but was shocked at the MPG. 55 around town! :eek:

the two engines are the

65 hp version seems to give about 70hp on the dynos though

80hp version which gives about 85 on dynos

the difference is only the 80hp has an intercooler bigger injectors a new fueling map and a dump valve. they hav the same internals and exhause i believe

the 65 hp can go to about 85 with a chip or tuning box or 90 with chip and exhaust i believe

the 80 hp does to about 105hp with a chip

i have been thinking though reciently that if u stick a larger intercooler fuel pump exhause and fuelign map that the little diesel would hit something like 120hp and 180lb torque

and if they increased the insurance group by as much as the % power the dci would be an insurance group 8 which is excellent for 120hp

anyone up to run there car as a teat bed for my ideas

The Jinx

Ill allow mine as a test bed. Providing costs are significantly reduced? Tunit box with RR tune is being saved up for at the mo. That gives 105bhp.

Before you consider chipping your 65bhp diesel, think about why Renault uses an intercooler on the 80bhp version. Probably in order to prevent the engine/turbo from overheating (apart from giving cooler air, of course..). The Pug 206 HDI doesnt really like being chipped without having an intercooler installed (runs without as standard), for example - Ive heard a few stories about HDIs giving up because of hard use combined with a too aggressive chip.

Regards,

CJ

Quote: Originally posted by Cj/Denmark on 20 May 2003

Before you consider chipping your 65bhp diesel, think about why Renault uses an intercooler on the 80bhp version. Probably in order to prevent the engine/turbo from overheating (apart from giving cooler air, of course..). The Pug 206 HDI doesnt really like being chipped without having an intercooler installed (runs without as standard), for example - Ive heard a few stories about HDIs giving up because of hard use combined with a too aggressive chip.

Regards,

CJ
The sole job of an intercooler is to condense air.... NOT to keep the engine cool... You use radiators and oil coolers to keep the engine cool!

Does anyone have any idea what would be required to put any intercooler be it a normal dci80 version or an even larger one on it.

I take it that you need some sort of heat transfere unit and piping to replace the piping presently used to move the hot air from the turbo to the engine.

im guessing that the parts wont cost more than £100 and a large intercooler seems to be about £300 (well land rover diesel seem to be about that looking in the mags)

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc

Do you lads think the manifold and intercooler of the DCi 80 should fit straight onto the dci65????

"The sole job of an intercooler is to condense air.... NOT to keep the engine cool... You use radiators and oil coolers to keep the engine cool!"

As far as Im concerned, the IC will lower the temperature of the intake air, lower the temperature of the engine oil and the temperature in the compustion chmaber, making for a more reliable solution on a chipped/modified turbo car.. But please prove me wrong if possible!

Regards,

CJ

My limited technical knowlege would say that an intercooler cools down the air after the turbo has compressed it and before its injected into the compustion chanber. By uising colder air the air is more compressed so more dense. This means you have more potential air to burn hence more power.

I guess the intercooler does keep the oil temp down for the same power seting because your using cooler air in the engine in the first place

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc

Anyone any ideas how to shoehorn the intercooler system from the DCi 80 to the DCi 65???

http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=6&TopicID=37552&PagePosition=1&ThreadPage=1http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=6&TopicID=37552&PagePosition=1&ThreadPage=1

someone here says the have a 65hp version and has a Forge intercooler to go in so hopefully he will tell us how to do it all maybe even pictures and a step by step guide :)

I need to find out what version intercooler is being used as Forge dont make Clio ones so must be some custom job.

I would love to see the diffference in engine layout between my engine (65hp) and an 80 hp with an intercooler and see what parts are needed