ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dci LOWERING HELP...

Black Dci80
:D Not sure if this has been posted before but..

I'm looking to lower my Dci80 by replacing the springs. Can any aftermarket spring kit (for the Mk2) fit or will it be model specific?? i.e. if they fit a 1.2 or 1.6 etc. will they fit the Dci??

Any help please... G/Max, Apex,????

Cheers :cool:

"Navy" N17 TWO
What about dampers for the dci80 ?

Which ones fit? or preferably which full lowering kit?

I've been told it's a good investment to get matching shocks/springs when lowering :)

Black Dci80
May seem a dim question but....changing the springs only with say, Apex, will it cause the ride to be "choppy" and go cart like?

It needs to be a bit less marshmallow like for cornering etc for me, but the car is also transport for my young 'un so needs to retain some comfort. :approve:

"Navy" N17 TWO
Lots of people have bought "just springs" have ended up going and buying the full kit for better balance between comfort and handling. Probably 2 reasons for this in my theory

1 Renault std dampers don't like lowering springs - they have been known to have a short life when the car is lowered on "just springs"

2 Matching shock/spring kits will have stiffer shocks so the handling will be better - comfort and ride quality are only harsh if the car is slammed.

I know someone on here who tried 40mm and 60mm Apex springs - then tried 40mm and 60mm Apex kits - he reccomended the 40mm Apex kit for the best balance between looks/comfort/handling if riding on 17s :)

I'm on the hunt for a 40mm Apex kit that will fit the dci - need to measure my front strut (havent got that far yet due to the great weather we get here :dead: )

If my strut doesn't match the Apex kit - been told I could always change my hub :)

I'd go for both springs and dampers personally its much better IMO. Plus you don't have the worry about upgrading to better shocks later on.
Dampers for the dci's, 1.4/1.6 are all the same spec realy even the 1.2 is the same realy. Some manurfactureers make different spec suspension setups for the 1.4/1.6/dci's over the 1.2s to complnsate for the less weight the 1.2 has up front but the difference is probably barly noticable.
All dci hubs will be 58mm its easy to find out to though stick the wheel on full lock and get your tape measure out.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Edde - you have wisdom beyond your years! :clown:

Now where did I put my inch tape..........;)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Got the front strut measured today :) 58mm between the centre of each bolt

All kits ive found with 58mm bolt-spacing are 30 or 35mm lowering ~ Im after a 40mm kit :(

What options do I have?

i dropped mine on 60mm gmax springs wit standard dampers and yeh she is hard on the 17's but handles v well.

ull find that using the springs for the petrol model the front will b a fair bit lower than the rear cos of the extra weight of the engine. i solved this usin old pi springs that had compressed over time but obviously that wont work for every1.

if ur wantin to keep a bit of comfort ud def b better goin for the 45mm drop and upgrade the shocks

Pete

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
dont know if this willbe the same with yours but i had a 160+ bhp 206 HDI diesel, and i had that lwered with springs that were allegedly for the HDI by apex. Short story is they were in fact no different to the gti ones. That meant with the heavy engine, the front end was very bouncy, and shocks were prone to bottoming out as a resutl.

diesel engines are a lot heavier (well the ones ive worked on) and therefore need a spring that can carry a heavier weight. The spring rates all need to be matched to the weights that gonna sit on em, otherwise it could be very uncomfotable or detrimental to the handling......

good luck mate

P.s. tery eibach as there diesel springs are actually made specifically for the model, and therefore have the correct damping rates etc

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
p.s. coilovers are the best solution, with adjustable damping you could get it perfect ;)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Coilovers is too much out of the pocket for all that I want out of a lowering kit

The 35mm Spax kit is also made for the dci - might just go for that for the sake of getting rid of the height

I kno of someone on here had a dci on 30mm Eibach springs and it looked exactly how I wanted mine :)

Spax or Eibach - what do we all reccomend ?

Mazda MX5 1.8
the diesel clio is only like 60kg's heavier than a 1.6 according to parkers....... so most kits will be fine

i think eibach are ok - havent noticed anyone slagging them off on here yet

"Navy" N17 TWO
suppose - eibach only do 30mm

Spax 35mm kit it is :) it will be a start in lowered suspension for me at least

The Reno moonwalker is getting lowered ;)

Just to give you some ideas of front end weight
1.2 540kgs
1.2 16V 565kgs
1.4 16V 653kgs
1.6 16V 680kgs
1.5 dci 610kgs
172 660kgs
Ok weight depend on specdoor numbers etc these are mid range rigures for these engined cars but its reasonable accurate
As you can see the 1.4's 1.6 and dci weight a fair bit more front end (say 80kg's) so on 1.2 springs are lower but there not right as they bottom out and the cars not setup right.
I'd get coilovers personally but if you want a good setup get either eisbeck springsfor the realy cheap option or apex springs and Blistein etc uprated adjuatble dampers. the dampers make a big difference. I'd keep away from Eisback on uprated shocks as they not idea IMO.