ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DCi POOR HOT AND COLD STARTING

1.5 dci Expression
Afternoon people! I've just taken a couple of codes out of the ECU, 4232 and 4192. The one says Rail Pressure Control, the other, Combustion Cylinder 3 Faulty Performance.
Now then, without trying to sound a little bit thick here am I right to assume these mean fuel pressure regulator and injector fault?
She's a right pig to start, hot or cold. Once running she goes like a train! I don't want to throw money at it because she's only work transport but I have to do 80 miles a day to work and back so would rather spend where its needed! :S

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Sounds like a sticking injector to me. Hence your codes.
N03 must be locking open when the engines off and this drops the fuel rail pressure.

( no3 is nearer to cambelt as the French do it N01 starts at the gearbox end)

1.5 dci Expression
I think the first port of call would be to fit an injector then! I hear some really scary stories about these! Seizing into the head etc. Is there anything I need to watch out for? And do they need coding into the ECU like some other cars? Thanks Destroyer! ;)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Injectors on a K9K are easy to remove if you take your time and don't use a slide hammer on the Delphi injectors. Any white smoke at cold startup?

1.5 dci Expression
Only just recently now you come to mention it coupled with a bit of diesel knock but soon clears! As i say, she pulls like a train once she's running. I have to drive to Castle Donington to work so a run up the a38 and a50 stretches her legs and runs great! Just peeing me off a bit with the starting! :(

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Yeah as mick says , no slide hammers/pullers on these.
Undo the lines from the injector, undo the clamp and use a spanner to move the injector ( spin ) it left and right whilst pulling up slightly. Should work free if it's got crap locking it in.
bit of WD will help ( don't get crap in the fuel rail ! )

they need coding for fine tuning the injection but it will fire up without.

Have you also check the glow plugs actually work?
Spit them out ( carefull, don't snap them just be patient) and test them on the battery with some wire. If they glow up quick and a nice red , they're fine. You can test them with a multi meter, really high resistance = dead glow plug

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Only just recently now you come to mention it coupled with a bit of diesel knock but soon clears! As i say, she pulls like a train once she's running. I have to drive to Castle Donington to work so a run up the a38 and a50 stretches her legs and runs great! Just peeing me off a bit with the starting! :(

Pop it in if you like I'm only up the road in Long Eaton but I suspect it needs an injector (I'd actually pull all four and have them tested for piece of mind & refurbished if required).

Mick

1.5 dci Expression
Yeah, changed the plugs as a matter of course the last time I serviced it. Going to change the starter and battery next week to give it a fair chance because the starter sounds like its dragging and the battery looks original so after 12 years its about had it. Cheers Destroyer.
I know Long Eaton Mick, used to live by the Bell. Where abouts are you? Would rather someone who knows what they are looking at to give their opinion and save me a lot of headache and wasting money!! ;)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I know Long Eaton Mick, used to live by the Bell. Where abouts are you? Would rather someone who knows what they are looking at to give their opinion and save me a lot of headache and wasting money!! ;)

At the minute we're next to the timber yard on Fields Farm Rd but next week we're moving. Give me a call tomorrow on the landline number (listed on our website) and i'll arrange to get it in for a look with you.

Mick