ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DCi starting and running fine - now it won't start for love nor money

Clio Mk2 DCi
Hi

At wits end and will likely need to scrap the car...

battery is strong
immobiliser seems to be okay - slow flashing light with no key, solid red light with ignition on
new glow plugs
idled fine, under load fine, no lumpiness - can a fuel pump suddenly go without warning
wires to plugs, HP pump fine

any other things to look for?

can't afford to take to a garage

Thank you

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Does the immobiliser light go out when you put the key in? I'd expect it to be solid when you put the key in, then go out after a second or two.
If not it sounds like a fault with the immobiliser to me.

Clio Mk2 DCi
Thanks hopgop!! with no key in, the red light flashes every second or so.

I turn the ignition on (dash lights all come on, then some switch off) and red light goes out.

will simply slotting the key in (but not turning it at all) make the light go from '1 second flash' to solid?

I did read something about wires under the driver's seat being linked to the immobiliser or did I mis-read that?

Cheers

Clio Mk2 DCi
Hi - the scrap man is arriving in half and hour!!! I tried everything I could with the time and tools I had. spent about 10 hours in total - I need to get on with my work!! there was no sounds under the bonnet when I turned on the ignition - almost certainly the fuel pump

it's okay - the car cost me £250.00 - and I'm getting £196.00 scrap 7 months later

Cheers - I like the Clio but onto the next cheap full MOT motor.....

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Probably too late now - but was there any evidence of when the last time the key fob battery was replaced? Takes like 10 seconds to swap it over and they cost peanuts.

Would be such a shame to scrap a clearly working car (for the most part!) over what could be a very simple fix.

Clio Mk2 DCi
Hi - both key batteries were fine.

I got a solid / then off red light on the dash - there was nothing wrong with the immobiliser, the HPO pump / injectors were wrong - didn't have time or money to sort it out