ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

de cat... how effective?

Focus RS Mk1
somethink like that yes. early 90's im sure!!!

If you go to a strict MOT place that will flag up even the smallest defect then you have no chance of passing with out a Cat.

unless you get the dumbest tester that think a silenced decat is a real Cat!

Ph1
If you all knew the regulations for an MOT then you'd be better informed!

For a car to pass MOT it must have a CAT fitted. Irrelivant if it would pass on emmision or not. If it hasnt got one, its a fail!

This is not the case for cars older than a certain year (cant think what year that is now) but all those cars that passed with decats either got very lucky with a dumb ass tester or was tested by a dodgy MOT firm!

This is FACT 100%.

Mate works for a well known national based car dealership and claims that thats acutally wrong, its based on emissions NOT whether it has a cat or not.

yep, based on emissions not having to have a cat, tho its generally accepted that you need some kind of cat to get the emissions low enough

Ph1
100% fact that you need a CAT. absolutly no doubt that im wrong.

Out of interest where did you get these facts from??

From 1992 all cars must be fitted with a cat. As already said, its regarded that if you dont have one fitted that you will fail a emissions test. That does not mean its illegal not to have a cat.

I cant find anywhere where it says its illegal NOT to have a cat fitted and that includes on the VOSA website.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
haha, no chance of passing with a de-cat if you have a genuine MOT, been there tried that. A few phone calls later I was through :p

Clio182
100% fact that you need a CAT. absolutly no doubt that im wrong.

Out of interest where did you get these facts from??

From 1992 all cars must be fitted with a cat. As already said, its regarded that if you dont have one fitted that you will fail a emissions test. That does not mean its illegal not to have a cat.

I cant find anywhere where it says its illegal NOT to have a cat fitted and that includes on the VOSA website.

My dad signs off for VOSA, It's not about having or not having the cat, its the emissions, If you can get the right emission levels you can have just the engine, wheels an a seat if you really wanted?