ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

De-Cat Q’s (yes more of them)

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

I just popped into TopGear in Basingstoke to ask for a quote for a de-cat to be made and fitted.

They quoted 125notes, but were concerned when I said it had twin lambda sensors.

They said to go check what happens as they think the engine goes into limp home mode, yet all you guys seem to have them fitted etc.

So whats the scoop? I need to know how it works etc, so I can walk in there and say "yep, fit it, all you need to do is......" etc.

Also is 125 a good price?

Dude they are bandits in there !!! That about 1 mile from where i work. Mine seems to run better without the second sensor pluged it. Runs more rich and you get more popping.

But i suppose for piece of mind i would prefer to have two sensors plugged in.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

So not a good idea then Rob?
Better off with a ready made decat and get it fitted myself?

If anyones interested i think i can get a decat made at work. I work for a firm that make stuff from tubular steel. If i know the length/size of the two flange plates and hole diameters/centres i could get one welded up and galvanised for next to nothing. I do all the technical drawing so could design it on cad then get the metal profiled. Not sure about the sensors but i think all would be needed is a tapped hole the same size as the thread for the the sensor then just screw them in. Hopefully the pipe would be straight but we can do cranked/bent pipe as we have mandral bending machines, press brakes etc.

I would have to ask the boss but think it would be ok. If anyone with technical knowledge could send me some dimensions etc i could sort some out for the cliosport members any type of car. If its not gonna damage the cars i can check fitment on my own 172 and valver. I wont be held responsible for any f**k ups though you change them at your own risk this is purely a favour!

Likewise, i can make them for the mk1s if someon could lend me their cat for a day or so, then i coudl get one made up,

If it bothers you that much just have them to weld another nut in for the second lambda, It will serve no purpose really but at least its plugged in.

yup, unplug it, and zip tie the cables out of the way, i bagged up and taped up the ends of the connector so it didnt get fill of sh*t before tying it out of the way

R

rich[182]

full-decats (not sports cats) are the next thing that police are gonna be clamping down on, theres another thread on here about them clamping down on windows strips, well theres some new legislation in the process of being passed soon as part of an EU directive that will make it illegal to have a full de-cat pipe fitted to any car thats being driven on the highway under ANY circumstances, even if having it fitted results in it passing emmissions test

There was something about it on one of the Lotus members sites recently, Also seen it mentioned on Sky motors programme on on a website recently

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 01 May 2004

full-decats (not sports cats) are the next thing that police are gonna be clamping down on, theres another thread on here about them clamping down on windows strips, well theres some new legislation in the process of being passed soon as part of an EU directive that will make it illegal to have a full de-cat pipe fitted to any car thats being driven on the highway under ANY circumstances, even if having it fitted results in it passing emmissions test

There was something about it on one of the Lotus members sites recently, Also seen it mentioned on Sky motors programme on on a website recently

if thats the case WTF ??? if it doesnt affect emissions and is declared to the insurer who the hell cares next it will be like france where almost all performance related mods are illegal

oh ffs, this is getting f**king stupid :mad:

Next they wont allow you a loud exhaust cus its a breach of the peace - its a f**king joke, think about all the other sh*t they could be cracking donw on, f**king drugs and burglery for one thing.

The police forcxe in this f**king country is a f**king joke!!!!!

P

peterh2

Makes me laugh when I read earlier that they didnt have enough resources to follow up an incident where someone who was uninsured and drunk crashed into someone, yet they have enough resources to go around checking everyone who pays there taxes, insurance, etc. for having a de-cat pipe on there car this is getting stupid.

yup, maybe cliosport should arrange a petition.

Maybe its something that all the owners clubs shoudl get together on, if there was like a 10,000 strong petition they woudl have to do something, although they prolly wont

P

peterh2

No, they wouldnt have to do anything, and sadly, they wouldnt do anything :mad:

R

rich[182]

yeh they need to get things in perspective, a de-cat is trivial alongside some t**ser driving without tax,insurance or drink driving, why cant they sort those issues out