ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dead Clio... Broken Down

1.6 Ford Focus
I was heading out earlier and all was ok, I was sitting happily at 70mph and suddenly the engine management light started flashing at me, the car started juddering and there was a considerable loss of power...

Anyway I made it to where I was going, just about, and had a look and there is oil everywhere (yet all the containers and oil are fine), the engine is jumping around in the engine bay like crazy, there's a really loud ticking coming from it.

I just managed to get it home after having to do 20 - 25mph all the way home for 8 miles and it virtually has no power and is juddering along in 3rd gear at 30mph as if I was trying to do 20mph in 5th gear and every time I had to take my foot off the accelerator the revs dropped right down and I had to keep my foot on the accelerator to keep the engine from stalling and to top it off there is a horrible burning smell... My cousin who followed me home told me that there's black smoke coming out the exhaust as well...

Im going to get it to the garage tomorrow morning somehow and leave it with them. Some people were saying it could be the fuel filter which I doubt and my dad seams to think that one of the spark plugs has gone.

Any ideas?

1.6 Ford Focus
That's another possibility... hopefully not too expensive.

One thing that has got me worried is someone said to me that I could have put diesel in it... I am 90% sure I put the green 99 super unleaded in it from tesco. I did have trouble getting the pump gun to fit into the fuel thing but it filled up and has been running fine for about 20 miles, if it was diesel in it then it probably would have caused problems right away and the pump probably wouldn't have started. Im sure tesco have diesel in black and unleaded in green as well.

1.6 Ford Focus
Just got the car back :D

You were right, it was one of the ignition coils had gone and all 4 spark plugs (8v) looked about 2 years old! Just got a new ignition coil pack, new spark plugs and new air filter for £90 though :)