ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dealers dented my car!

535d / t5 caravelle
So, the car went in today for the bonnet catch recall, went to pick it up and it has acquired 2 tiny dents on the bonnet, not a million miles off where the new catch is situated, as soon as i walked upto my car i noticed them and went straight back in to have words, the guy behind the desk came out looked at them, went to have a word with the technician who did the work, there not admitting anything, i need to go back when the service manager is in next week, not a f**king happy bunny!

the dents are very small, more like dimples, and situated roughly 5" apart, BUT i now notice them as soon as i look at my car!

where do i stand with this bulls**t!?

i get the feeling as its an 11 year old car i am going to get fobbed off!, but i am more than ready to kick off and am not taking any s**t, and ain't going to back down, where do i stand folks, any advice?

BLACKBURN RENAULT FOR REFERENCE

Last edited:
All damaged should be noted on the visual inspection before work is carried out as they are a main dealer we have to do it before the customer leaves if they aren't on it then how can they say they didn't do it

535d / t5 caravelle
I imagine you will get fobbed off.

Can you prove the damage wasn't there when you took the car in?

no i cant, but i know about every mark on my car, and went round showing them after i noticed the extra 2, there is one on the door a car park ding, and a scuff on the bumper again from a car park, now i wouldn't kick off about 2 minor ones when the car already has blemishes for nothing would i.

All damaged should be noted on the visual inspection before work is carried out as they are a main dealer we have to do it before the customer leaves if they aren't on it then how can they say they didn't do it

they said nothing of this, so i presume they did not do it, is this something they HAVE to do?

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Ask them to show you the paperwork YOU signed when you left them the car. They won't be able to unless they falsify it. They'll sort it.

535d / t5 caravelle
i did sign some paperwork, but i did not read it, i went in dropped off car, they asked for a signature, i gave them one, and left, so no one looked at the car before i left, i was there for 2 minutes max.

no i cant, but i know about every mark on my car, and went round showing them after i noticed the extra 2, there is one on the door a car park ding, and a scuff on the bumper again from a car park, now i wouldn't kick off about 2 minor ones when the car already has blemishes for nothing would i.

they said nothing of this, so i presume they did not do it, is this something they HAVE to do?

We have proper Renault pads to fill out to mark damage mileage fuel and other things I even think its a carbon copy pad so the customer gets a copy. I'm in parts so don't tend to take much notice of all the proper bits but I know we have to do it before the customer leaves and then another walk around after the work is done and they go

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
They've pushed down on the bonnet to close it, rather than drop it shut

how's she going btw!? Still love a nice cup!

535d / t5 caravelle
I imagine you will get fobbed off.

Can you prove the damage wasn't there when you took the car in?

We have proper Renault pads to fill out to mark damage mileage fuel and other things I even think its a carbon copy pad so the customer gets a copy. I'm in parts so don't tend to take much notice of all the proper bits but I know we have to do it before the customer leaves and then another walk around after the work is done and they go

this most definantley did not happen mate

Shhh
Had AA man dent bonnet on the RB182.

Had to the bonnet repaired by them, it never really matched the rest of the car in the end. Would of rather left it as it wasnt that bad afterwards.

Not even the white stripes matched.. :(

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
They can be popped out by a dent wizard type fella, but it's not the point!

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
If they never went out and signed it off (Marked out any dents ect) they cannot prove they were there before it went in. It's really impractical for dealers to do it, but they should for this exact reason.

If they never went out and signed it off (Marked out any dents ect) they cannot prove they were there before it went in. It's really impractical for dealers to do it, but they should for this exact reason.

We don't do it for everyone even though we should. We tend to only do it to certain customers with history of making claims or new customers. Renault even suggested we employ someone just for this job.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
We don't do it for everyone even though we should. We tend to only do it to certain customers with history of making claims or new customers. Renault even suggested we employ someone just for this job.

Yip - when I was in the trade it was a nightmare to do - mainly never got done and only had 1-2 claims come in.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
They've pushed down on the bonnet to close it, rather than drop it shut

That was my concern when i took mine in to have a new bonnet catch fitted , that they'd probably try opening and closing it a few times and push down on the bonnet . Like ya said . They won't have dropped it properly so it'll have been sitting slightly open and someone will have pushed on the bonnet to close it . It was the first thing i checked when i got back to the car , thankfully no dents .

@ bill . Mine was Blackburn Renault too . If the dealership doesn't sort it , ring Renault customer services and make a complaint .

Denting/damaging cars seems to be standard practice where I work, and as said usually if you scream loud enough you'll get whatever you want out of a dealership. This obviously depends on the type of manager your dealing with, generally though ours is a push over and just folds at the first sign of trouble!

At the place I work we employ a bloke to move cars from customer parking to workshop parking, his job is to fill in mileages and damage reports, the issue with this is that the damage isn't shown or noted with the customer as its supposed to be.
So with that said, without relevant paperwork filled in I think you have a fighting chance here

535d / t5 caravelle
Had AA man dent bonnet on the RB182. Had to the bonnet repaired by them, it never really matched the rest of the car in the end. Would of rather left it as it wasnt that bad afterwards. Not even the white stripes matched.. :(

yeah i dont want a resprayed bonnet not matching, then it looks like its been in a shunt!

They can be popped out by a dent wizard type fella, but it's not the point!

on closer inspection, one of the dents appears to be done from the inside, i reckon they have dropped the bonnet on a tool left on the engine etc, i presume dents from the inside are non repairable from dent wizard types etc, the cups still going strong by the way Gaz, knocking driveshaft to sort out.

at least i have this on my side!

That was my concern when i took mine in to have a new bonnet catch fitted , that they'd probably try opening and closing it a few times and push down on the bonnet . Like ya said . They won't have dropped it properly so it'll have been sitting slightly open and someone will have pushed on the bonnet to close it . It was the first thing i checked when i got back to the car , thankfully no dents . @ bill . Mine was Blackburn Renault too . If the dealership doesn't sort it , ring Renault customer services and make a complaint .

i think this is the road i will be heading down, Renault customer services, as i'm expecting a load of bullshit when i go to see the service manager!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
You'd think a main dealership would know how to close a bonnet after twelve years.

They're hard to get perfect again once they've been dented too. There is some pretty substantial bonded bracing behind the main bonnet skin in that area.

535d / t5 caravelle
where the dent is which appears to be from the inside is right where the strenghening bits of the bonnet are, which makes me wonder how the f**k they have done it? and also makes me think this is what they are going to throw back at me!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It's easy to do. Most dealerships press down either side of that central crease. Idiots.

I had to replace the entire bonnet when mine was dented as I was advised it was too hard to get perfect again.

​Luckily, it wasn't at my cost.

535d / t5 caravelle
i cant see them getting this right again tbh, thats providing they agree to anything.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
How bad is the damage? Surely you can live with a few very small minor dents on edge of bonnet?

535d / t5 caravelle
How bad is the damage? Surely you can live with a few very small minor dents on edge of bonnet?

they are 2 tiny dimples, i now see them everytime i look at the front of my car, why should i have to live with them? when the f**k wits at renault damaged the car? when i come to sell the car i will have to sort out these problems at my cost if i dont kick up a fuss now.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
When they took it in they should have filled out a sheet for any pre existing damage. If they haven't filled this in or the damage is not on the sheet then I'd argue the toss & get them to sort it.

535d / t5 caravelle
they cant have done, i was in and out in 2 minutes, and the car was parked well away from the reception

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
They do a check on the car when they go around the car with a clipboard to access damage/ Scratches ETC they will obviously deny any wrong doing to cover there ass but i hope u get it all sorted :)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
They do a check on the car when they go around the car with a clipboard to access damage/ Scratches ETC they will obviously deny any wrong doing to cover there ass but i hope u get it all sorted :)

They didn't do a check on my car at Blackburn ( where bill took his ) or go round with a clipboard , well not to my knowledge anyway . And they had it for an hour and half lol . Luckily there was some old geezer in the reception area , another customer , who kept me entertained with the stories of cars he'd had right back to the 1950's lol .

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
They didn't do a check on my car at Blackburn ( where bill took his ) or go round with a clipboard , well not to my knowledge anyway . And they had it for an hour and half lol . Luckily there was some old geezer in the reception area , another customer , who kept me entertained with the stories of cars he'd had right back to the 1950's lol .

They should do really, haha brilliant i bet they were cracking stories and no doubt dirty lol :)

535d / t5 caravelle
ok! so i have been onto Renault uk customer services, spoke to a very nice chap for 15 minutes, who was very apologetic, and took notes of everything, he has basically said it is between me and the dealership, but he has rang them up and put his weight behind my claim, and wants to know when i have seen the service manager, so he can follow it up, he seemed a very genuine person and i do feel i have him on my side and hope that this will help towards my claim. fingers crossed!

going to see the service manager wednesday afternoon.

535d / t5 caravelle
well, they have agreed to send the dent man round to my house to have it sorted! although they reckon the mechanic said the dents were already on the car ( which wound me up ) anyway, good result as long as they get it right and don't make it worse, will get him to take the dent out of the drivers door whilst there also :)

535d / t5 caravelle
yeah, i asked if he had put it down on the paperwork which i had signed for ;) only to get told he put a note of it on his job card, to which i replied yeah i thought he might have done! b****cks!