ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dear God No...Laptop Crash.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
OMG!!!

My laptop has just taken a severe dump.:mad:

It just randomly restarted itself except it won't go past the windows loading screen...it just keeps repeating it and then starting again. It never loads.

It's got some extremely important data on for my racing and work and I'd be truly up s**t creek without a paddle if it's unretrievable.

I'm going to take it in to a shop tomorrow but what's the probability of me being able to retrieve any data?

Megane
If you download a copy of ubuntu, and boot into it from the disk, it should be able to read the directories of the windows partition to allow you to back up any information you need to an external drive.
I've had to do this trick before....

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
How do I download anything? It never goes past a the black screen where it says loading.

BMW M135i
Not got another computer i'm guessing? And here is a textbook example of why you should back stuff up. Might end up being a costly lesson tbh, only other option is to remove the drive and stick it in another computer and you should be able to pull data off it. Another idea is will it start in safe mode?

I had this problem at work, and the IT bloke said that if I turn it on and keep pressing F12 it will boot up, it did... I don't know if he just said something random but it worked.

If that doesn't work he told me to press F8 which apparently runs the computer in safe mode.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
burn ubuntu to disc, throw it in and boot from the cd. run it from the disc live, dont install it

Thanks, I'll give it a go now.

Not got another computer i'm guessing? And here is a textbook example of why you should back stuff up. Might end up being a costly lesson tbh, only other option is to remove the drive and stick it in another computer and you should be able to pull data off it. Another idea is will it start in safe mode?

Won't start in safe mode, i have another laptop but I didn't backup my data since March and I've added a huge amount since..

Blown up 182 & Mondeo TDI
Had the exact same issue, wouldnt boot even in safe mode. Used Nopix to view all my files but it wouldnt copy them. Got IT to look at it and they could fix the drive but only by formatting which was about as much help as they ever are. Ended up using Nopix and emailing myself all th files i wanted to keep.

BMW M135i
Ubuntu or another live distribution of linux is probably the best bet them to fish the data off onto a usb stick or otherwise, going to be a bit of a learning curve if you've never used linux but you should manage it i've never used ubuntu and how user friendly is it?

Its going to need a format anyway after by the sounds of it.

dk

911 GTS Cab
if the computer has two partitions on the hard drive (so a C and a D drive) you can put a windows disc in and install it on the D partition, then you can then back up all your files from the C drive and then reinstall windows onto C and then just delete the windows directory on the D drive and you are back to normal, done this before so i know it works.

Megane
The latest build of ubuntu is very good, but if you want an XP lookalike version, then use Kubuntu, its set out very similar.
Dont use the KDE 4.0 version though, as its effectivly a vista clone, and buggy as hell. Version 3 is fine.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Well I had a mini brainwave and rang my brother as he has the same laptop as me... I installed my hard drive but the fucker still won't load so has the hard drive been ruined?

I also bought those HDD enclosure things, a SATA and the other type but both didn't fit the pin formation of my hard drive?

So now I'm resorting to phoning a company and seeing if they can recover any files..

Look mate, not being funny, but stop f**king about with this yourself and take it to a professional.

You obviously have a few quid and what is on this machine is obviously worth a great deal to you.

As such, take it to a professional with appropriate indemnity insurance so that if he/she f***s it up, they pay for it, not you and your grubby little mitts ;)

dk

911 GTS Cab
did you try running ubuntu in live mode and recovering the files?
ditto, do you have two partitions to try my method?

2 quite easy solutions here, you seem to have tried the hard ones first and then given up.

BMW M135i
Look mate, not being funny, but stop f**king about with this yourself and take it to a professional.

You obviously have a few quid and what is on this machine is obviously worth a great deal to you.

As such, take it to a professional with appropriate indemnity insurance so that if he/she f**ks it up, they pay for it, not you and your grubby little mitts ;)

Its a computer, not a nuclear reactor. As long as he doesn't start playing with partitions he won't do any more damage than has already been done. And some of these "professionals" are a joke tbh arse from elbow comes to mind.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R

I couldn't download it as it kept saying my location wasn't valid?

ditto, do you have two partitions to try my method?

2 quite easy solutions here, you seem to have tried the hard ones first and then given up.

I have two partitions yes, I couldn't find the windows CD for the life of me, tipped the place upside down, found everyone else's but mine..

It's going to a I.T speciailist tomorrow that looks after several large companies I know and they recommended him so I'll see what he can do.

dk

911 GTS Cab
you could actually use any windows cd really, just to get a temporary copy on the laptop to allow you to attach an external hard drive and copy all the info off.

looks like you are sorted now though anyway.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I could fix this no problem, take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

You have admitted yourself you know nothing about it.

Better than yours. C*nt.
CHKDSK can fix this problem in the windows recovery option on any copy of XP.

Almost never. Dunno where you get that from but CHKDSK only checks the disk itself, not the data on it as such... If you were extremely lucky an install over the top would leave most of the structure in place - Vista's good though...

SLK 350
CHKDSK can fix this problem in the windows recovery option on any copy of XP.

Almost never. Dunno where you get that from but CHKDSK only checks the disk itself, not the data on it as such... If you were extremely lucky an install over the top would leave most of the structure in place - Vista's good though...

Not so sure, CHKDSK /R isn't bad. Although it won't always fix it first time around. With a combination of CHKDSK/FIXBOOT/FIXMBR/BOOTCFG you can fix the majority of non-hardware failure related issues in my experience, and if they don't work it's Knoppix time.