ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decat Legal

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3

Q.

Is it legal to de-cat my car?

A.

De-catting a car in the UK registered after 1993 is illegal as it will fail an emissions check.

This true? How do you guys with decats get around this?

[Edited by Rip3z on 01 August 2005 at 10:11pm]

Get a friendly MOT tester.......

It is the fact that it hasnt got a de-cat that will make it fail as there is no physical check to see if it has one, it is the fact that that having no de-cat tends to make them fail their emissions test (as far as I understand it)

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3

Surely no-one would pass you if you fail the emissions test??

Or do you guys with decat get friends to MOT?

having a decat fitted is 100% legal

failing an emissions test whilst the decat is fitted is illegal

actually cars made after 93 need to be made with a cat but dont need one to be legal aslong as they pass an emission test

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

i got a saab turbo thru an mot with a decat, just added a can of winns emission reducer;). magic stuff, first test failing well. put the whole can in on a half tank of fuel followed by a damn good thrash, straight onto the probe, and got a high pass:D

clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by Speiro on 01 August 2005

Fit the cat back on before the MOT maybe? ;)

thats the way.....

if you fail a roadside test your car can be impounded.

fit a sport cat instead.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3

Is it easy to fit an exhaust system yourself?

Do you buy a decat exhaust system? Or just take your cat out? Can you put your standard cat from your original exhaust system back on?

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

Laws are changing on MOT testing it will all be done on computer making it a lot harder to get a dodgy mots, Its nuisance getting a mot every year with no cat i never had one on my megane coupe and every year it had to get a dodgy one which sometimes can take ages to get hold of.

Ill never take the cat off my 172 even though im into my engines

Atlantis Blue 1.2 Corsa B

so mijne was registered jan 1993, does that mean the rule doesnt apply to me about the cat? i know obviously it has to pass emmissions test, how does it differ for me? Matt