ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

decat yes are no?

clio 172 sport
hi ppl can any1 recommend a decat for my ph2 172?
also is it a worth while mod? cheers for your help ben.

172 ff silver
ive thought long and hard about this and imo its not worth it

its a pain in the arse to swap over at mot time on a ph2, all this for a small gain

titanic killer
Ive done it and the car is more drivable and runs better,revs harder like you say little gains but the extra noise and hassle changing it i think its 50/50 split decision
do a search theres been aalot of discusion on it

M2 Competition
Thinking of taking mine off to quieten the car down a little bit.

Wont make a huge difference, throttle pedal feels snappier, and car is noisier best describes it.

mini cooper (RIP 172)
its a pain to change! thats why i got a sports cat, and it did make a great diffrance! car just revs free!

but it was not far off £300:eek:

titanic killer
Sorry pal but im not gonna lie to you,yes it makes the car run better and pulls through the rev range alot faster/harder but alot more noise and slight rasp and resonates at 2k to 3k

I hated the decat on my 182, sounded awful mated to the exhaust I had. Very raspy and basically I was embarrassed to boot it.

I find 172s sound totally different though :s probably due to the exhaust manifold.

clio 172 sport
Sorry pal but im not gonna lie to you,yes it makes the car run better and pulls through the rev range alot faster/harder but alot more noise and slight rasp and resonates at 2k to 3k
nice one pal i appreciate your honesty and my wallet also thanks you lol
im just after doin some mods to gain a bit more performance any1 got any suggestions? i havent got too much to spend so dont say turbo conversion lol

titanic killer
Yeah 172 cats are apparentley very restrictive so will drive alot smoother instead of toeing it and waiting for the power

titanic killer
nice one pal i appreciate your honesty and my wallet also thanks you lol
im just after doin some mods to gain a bit more performance any1 got any suggestions? i havent got too much to spend so dont say turbo conversion lol
Dont get me wrong thou,i did it cos i wanted to see for myself what its like,
for £100 get one try it,if you dont like it you can always sell it on here people always want them
Some depends on what exhaust system they are on as Wiggum says,mine has a GDI system and K tec decat

clio 172 sport
would it be worth having an rs tuning remap with just an itg panel filter and a s/s cat back system?

mini cooper (RIP 172)
wat makes your sport cat rob? and wat gains you got?

its a janspeed one i think, got it from gdi! also got the gdi stealth!

its a 100cell one! (std is 200) god know want bhp gains ect! not much i'd say!

but its the feel and the revs lower down! dont get as much "5k kick" coz it revs better low down!

not had it on a RR but did some pull tests with rick's 182! before he pulled on me in every gear! after i had a very slight edge in every gear! but when we did a low speed 5th gear pick up i really did pull like i was in 4th and he was in 5th;)

oh and get the remap done last after all other mods

Decat was such a great mod for me!!

I went head to head with my mates VXR in a straight line before the decat and he was passed me by 70mph after the decat hes only just passing by 100mph!!!

Can also quite comfortably beat my mates tuned VTS and another mates JDM spec EK9 CTR.

And if you don't believe me come see me and i'll demonstrate it :) I didn't try the CTR and VTS before the decat though.

edit: mines a silenced one with a janspeed full system sounds great! Doesn't pop and bang though :'(

Ph1
Decat has to be one of the best value performance mods on a 172. Fitting a IK then a zorst was ok but the decat really made a difference and for a fraction of the cost

Sunflower 172 :)
no bhp
no torque
loads of noise
£100

i disagree with this i put a decat on my 172 and i got it rolling roaded before and after. before it was pushing 162bhp and after the decat was fitted it was running 171 bhp. so the decat does make a difference in power and it does rev alot quicker but lets out alot of noise aswell.

I think all you need to do is look what the inside of a catalytic converter and then youl realise how it robs you off power lol

titanic killer
no bhp
no torque
loads of noise
£100

i disagree with this i put a decat on my 172 and i got it rolling roaded before and after. before it was pushing 162bhp and after the decat was fitted it was running 171 bhp. so the decat does make a difference in power and it does rev alot quicker but lets out alot of noise aswell.
I was probably being a bit hastey there,but you gained 9bhp from a decat??????

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Had decat on my 182

Pro's
-Better throttle response
-Better MPG!
-Pop's and bangs

Con's
-Loud, massively boomy on a motorway, drove to London and back, massive headache. Took it off the next day LOL.
-Voids insurance (people argue over this, but a guy on pistonheads crashed his impreza and got zero pay out due to decat)

titanic killer
^^very good point,
Mine is fine at motorway speeds as the faster you go the quieter it is, 2k to 3k in any gear is were its loud imo

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Agreed, doesn't seem to help if you get pulled! "Sorry officer, but my decat's quieter over 80"

Had decat on my 182

Pro's
-Better MPG!
-Pop's and bangs

Con's
-Loud, massively boomy on a motorway, drove to London and back, massive headache. Took it off the next day LOL. Queer!
-Voids insurance (people argue over this, but a guy on pistonheads crashed his impreza and got zero pay out due to decat)
How exactly? Had he declared a modified exhaust, I'll bet he hadn't.

SchwepTek™
mine is fine on the stock exhaust not to loud but with aftermarket i can see your point

Matt have you got a decat on standard 182 exhaust??? Thats what i want to do. Defo benefit then???

Is it true about voiding insurance??

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
i had my mot done today, they swapped the cat for the test and put the dcat on at the end - the labour cost £50,

ill pay £50 a day to get my monies worth when it comes to car tax, we pay a fortune due to emmisions

i noticed a big difference in performance and noise - i think its definetly worth it!

b/g 182, meg tourer
i had one for months. didnt notice any difference at all. not much in noise either. think it messed up a lambada sensor too. when it came to mot time, put my cat back on and i really struggled to pass on emmisions.
i would say its not worth the hassle tbh

M2 Competition
Had decat on my 182

Pro's
-Better MPG!
-Pop's and bangs

Con's
-Loud, massively boomy on a motorway, drove to London and back, massive headache. Took it off the next day LOL. Queer!
How exactly? Had he declared a modified exhaust, I'll bet he hadn't.

A decat wont pass an mot. No mot, no insurance.