ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decatting Power Increase

2004 Clio 1.2 16v

alright ppl i just got my 1.2 16v decatted and have a pipercross induction kit along with a peco back box and was wondering if anyone has done anything similar and had it tested on a rollin road....and what sort of power increase they got.

It is also gettin tuned and the fuel pressure increased next monday so hopefully will notice a wee bit of difference :)

When I saw your forum tag I thought you had a "real" 16v, but I guess the 1.2s are technically 16vs. ;)

Anyway, Ive just fitted one to my Valver and I wouldnt say it makes a massive difference, although it seems to give the car a little extra urge at low revs at motorway speeds. The jurys still out about the noise though, since I loved the induction roar and hissing my car made with just the cat-back exhaust and induction kit. It only used to roar on demand and made a wicked noise after 4500rpm. But now at lower revs, where I used to just get a turbo-like whistle from the induction kit, it sounds a bit Nova-esque for me. Still, it sounds really mean at idle and the start-up growl is good too.

Relatively, the 1.2s are now far better spec cars with better engines than the Mk1 1.2s. When I stuck an IK and back box on my old 1.2, it sounded like someone was making rally noises through their nose. :(

Oh man, I hope I didnt sound as if I was having a go.

And heres something else good - the de-cat makes my 16v spits flames!

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Amazingly, when at quick fit today one of there quality mechanics stated that he knew for a FACT that de-cat pipes lower ur performane. Anyway i humoured the guy before driving off! Now, what his he on about?

I definetly noticed a gain when i had mine fitted!

hes probably referring to the pub talk of lower back pressure and loss of torque.......which to a point can be true, but generally isnt...

Revels Mum & Sister

I had a decat. Didnt really notice a lot. Seem to run quite rough.

And WAS FAR TOO LOUD!!!!!! Too Nova like.

Took it off and put the Cat back on. Lot smoother with that on!!

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Im considering doing that now, just cause i think torque is suspect when engine isnt REALLY working, but then again i havnt thought twice about it since being mentioned hear. Hummmm. I know it sounds louder which i like! :D

Well my 16v was rolling roaded before and after having a full KTR exhaust & de-cat fitted.

Result were only 1bhp & 1lb/ft but both were peaking at lower revs (bhp - 6650rpm instead of 6950rpm * torque 4800rpm instead of 5100rpm)

This made a very nice improvement on the road, as it would pull better and harder from lower revs and there was only a need to go to 6650rpm in every gear instead of almost red lining it.

I my opinion, for £39/£59 (straight through/silenced) plus vat minus the cliosport discount, this is probably the best value performance mod you can do.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

I had a Scorpion cat-back Xorst on my valver before fitting my de-cat, so i was wondering if the bore was TOO big for a striaght through pipe (air struggles to be forced through at lower revs), and if maybe the cat gives it the correct balance for air flow at lower speeds at least?

Maybe your Xorst Tom would put out better torque with cat fitted? Only a theory. May get mine refitted tomorrow to feel the difference.

Ive recently fitted K-Tec exahust with decat, and although I don think car is any quicker, I do feel it is a little more responsive on the pick up. Tom16v comment about it lowering where peaks in the power and torque curves happen is interesting. Would say with a valver getting this is worthwhile, IF you can put up with the noise, as once the novelty wears off, it can be annoying.

Im much happier with the de-cat, its seems to go quicker without the need to push it so hard.

KTR do a silenced de-cat as well so it doesnt have to be so noisy.....but I like mine LOUD!

350z & 16v Maxi

Ive got a Mongoose system and de-cat. If you shut your eyes and start up my Clio or My bosses Skyline (Blitz Ind Kit and HKS System) you can hardly tell the diffrence between them in sound. I felt the system and de-cat made my car run a lot better and had more power.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

I reckon id be able to tell Colin. ;)

Im having the cat put back on today so ill post the difference it makes late tonight.

I remember when i had it fitted the pick-up felt a bit breathless at low speeds but at top end pick up was immense! Ill update on the situation later.

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 27 February 2003

Do they do silenced de-cats for any other models?
Have a look at the website, but I am pretty sure that for every model they make a de-cat for, they make a silenced de-cat.

Paul

i recently got decat fitted and i feel it picks up earlier in the revs, also produces a kool popping as it comes down the revs.

But how do i get it to spit flames?

I WANT!!!!!!

Does it make popping noise on all cars? or is just the Valver, cos I really want that sound but I only got an RT.

Paul

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Well in absoulate contrast to myky16; like i said, ive had my cat put back on.

OMG, Amazing, acceraltion due to torque is WELL up! I really couldnt believe it, i thought i was just set into my valvers performance but it is honestly like having nos fitted. My face when putting foot down after getting car back from garage: :D.

I must apoligise to Kwick Fit for ripping one of their fitters on this forum who said it causes a loss in performance when putting de-cat pipe on. Im SO shocked that a pieace of pipe in which its only purpuse is to reduce emmisions actually gives you SO much more torque! Perhaps a smaller bore de-cat pipe would be usefull but K-tecs is useless in my experiance.

Maybe its your exhaust bore thats too big. Maybe its the cat thats giving you the back pressure you need.

But I dont actually know that much about the back pressure argument. I dont really know either way.

Paul

DTWD

you can get your RT to pop if you want. Ive got one with a side exit on and when i let the revs drop at around 3000 it makes a lovely popping sound. if i put my foot down again ill even get an extra loud pop.

my exhaust is already quite loud, makes little kids screem, that sort of thing. Does anybody have an RT with a decat, what sort of peformance gains did you get and how much louder did it get, Does a decat make the pitch of the exhaust note higher or lower ??

Skoda Fabia vRS

it doesnt make it that much louder, or change the way it sounds very much

it just gives u a bit more performance esp top end where the cat is pretty restrictive !

its worth doin as de-cat pipes can be had for about £45

i have just ordered one for my valver well a whole system actually

i have gone for the magnex system and cat replacment pipe but i must say that this thread has put me off the cat replacment pipe

its not sucha big deal...just another bolt on....dont owrry too much, test it, if you like...then cool

Has anyone actually removed their cat from their 1.2. 16v beast and had any glitches ie back presure problems , dash warning lights coming on etc

Not to botherd about the power increase( if any) running on 18s so not much power any way , just wonderd if it made the exhaust any louder.

I would have thought it might be a little louder but mainly a lower pitch. But if you get a silenced one (if your a women! ;)) then you probably wont notice a difference.

Paul

wont loose warenty on zorst as powerflow made the zorst so ill get powerflow to make the cat replacement so ill keep me warenty on the bad boy. and as to the mot, thats a long way off, ill pop it on when the time comes.

just want to know if anyone else done it yet,remove the cat on a 1.2 that is.

Went and saw the boys at powerflow to see wat they could do about the decat situation, and for and 1.2 16v owners its not all good news.befor you even try to remove the dame thing there are two lamber sensers on the cat. i was told if you take them off youll begin to get problems ie, your emmisions go right up the spout , warning lights come on on the dash and the car will generally run as sloppy as your nans undercaridge. asked my mate at renault the same question and he said the same. they make the cats these days to give the best perfomance they can and removing it prob make no difference.

If anyone has done it would love to know how.

Mrs' valver! &myV6 veccy

My RTs got a magnex 3 back box with a de-cat. Agree that bottom end it takes longer to pick up, but it feels more responsive than it used to top end.

The bottom end lag does annoy at times but its certainly worth it for the noise! It sounds awesome combined with the induction kit! Not overly loud but quite loud! It does pop like other peoples too! You have to rev it quickly to about 4k then let it drop to about 3k, then blip the throttle then itll spit a flame & pop!