ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decent budget home cinema recommendations?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Currently got a Panasonic SA-PT460 which is kind of old now and the DVD drive has decided to pack in and the main speaker has an annoying crackle!

Can anyone recommend me a decent enough home cinema for around £100 - £200 max?

My room is pretty small so don't need anything super mental, just want good clear surround sound, HDMI, optical out for PS3, etc.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Check out a Richer Sounds near you, they should be able to sort you out a decent budget AV amp and speaker set I would expect.

Or if not, will have 1 box surround sound systems.

Very good service IME, plus they know what they're on about and are very competitively priced.

Cupra
2nd hand and get a great set up! I was going to sell my old one recently and was amazed at how little they go for. I decided I'd rather keep it all and give it to one of my sons when they are older than sell for peanuts.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Yeah cheers. Well the room's that small I think even just a 2.1 sound bar would do and would save space and messiness.

Are these sound bars any good? Do they actually give proper surround sound in some weird an wonderful way? What about being able to link one up to PS3, etc?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
If you get a semi decent AV amp, you'll be able to run it on a secondary channel on 2.1, then when you move / want to go 5.1, you can just buy the additional speakers and run it on the 5.1 channel.

As I say, if you chat to RS, they'll be able to talk you through it.

No experience of sound bars unfortunately.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ah yes, there's a Richer sounds near work on Deansgate, gonna give them a toot on Weds. Cheers.

M135i
The onkyo htx-22hdx is what I'm going to get on Saturday. Has great reviews, tons of features inc HD decoding. Upgradable to 5.1 if need be.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Sounds a belter, but I should've said, I want something quite neat and compact cos the living room in my flat is tiny!

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
They're not hugely intrusive mate.

d1176011.jpg

That's mine, as I say, just a budget range Onkyo, nothing with bells and whistles.

You appreciate it hugely over an out of the box type system.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Cool, I'll take a look at these in Richer Sounds tomorrow.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Onkyo seems to be their standard budget range.

ht-s3300_02.jpg

That's mine, the HT-R380.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Does look bloody good that! Might have to find some room for one! I like that kind of 'Nakamichi' look to it compared to all the flashing lights and 'Bass Boost' w**k that you get on the Sony's/Pioneers/Samsungs etc.
Those Yamaha soundbars look tasty too.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Does look bloody good that! Might have to find some room for one! I like that kind of 'Nakamichi' look to it compared to all the flashing lights and 'Bass Boost' w**k that you get on the Sony's/Pioneers/Samsungs etc.
Those Yamaha soundbars look tasty too.

It really doesn't take up much more room on the shelf.

Plus, as I say, you can run it 2.1 until you want to go 5.1 using 1 of the 2 channels.