ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decent garage around Teesside/ Guisborough

Clio
Recently bought a 197 and need a few issues sorting.. can anyone recommend a decent garage around Teesside/Guisborough? Would ideally like to take the car to somewhere that know their stuff with Clios. Cheers!

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Recently bought a 197 and need a few issues sorting.. can anyone recommend a decent garage around Teesside/Guisborough? Would ideally like to take the car to somewhere that know their stuff with Clios. Cheers!
In terms of Renault focussed garages - There’s Andy Harland in Darlington. I’ve never used him, but he was a former master technician at the garage I work for.

There’s one in Middlesbrough but I personally wouldn’t use again for various reasons.

Mickleton Garage is over Barney - a fair old trip - but great for engine rebuilds. They took forever to diagnose and eventually sort my 182 engine, but the workmanship was top notch.

@Brigsy Do you know of any others?

What do you need sorting?

Clio
In terms of Renault focussed garages - There’s Andy Harland in Darlington. I’ve never used him, but he was a former master technician at the garage I work for.

There’s one in Middlesbrough but I personally wouldn’t use again for various reasons.

Mickleton Garage is over Barney - a fair old trip - but great for engine rebuilds. They took forever to diagnose and eventually sort my 182 engine, but the workmanship was top notch.

@Brigsy Do you know of any others?

What do you need sorting?
The steering is really vague, there’s no knocks or clicks but it wanders around the road quite badly. Even on a gentle corner the traction control light flickers and it doesn’t even feel like the steering is connected to the car 😂

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
The steering is really vague, there’s no knocks or clicks but it wanders around the road quite badly. Even on a gentle corner the traction control light flickers and it doesn’t even feel like the steering is connected to the car 😂
Sounds like it just needs a good geo setup. What tyres are you using?

I bought a 182 and it had AD08Rs - semi slick budget trackday tyre - and the tramlining was outstanding. It used to try and throw me into a hedge and that was on the A66. I took it into a Bodyshop and they set the geo and then ran Pilot Sport 3s and it was perfect.

Old cars I’m afraid. Unless they’ve had a million pounds spent on them, it’s a lottery.

Clio
Sounds like it just needs a good geo setup. What tyres are you using?

I bought a 182 and it had AD08Rs - semi slick budget trackday tyre - and the tramlining was outstanding. It used to try and throw me into a hedge and that was on the A66. I took it into a Bodyshop and they set the geo and then ran Pilot Sport 3s and it was perfect.

Old cars I’m afraid. Unless they’ve had a million pounds spent on them, it’s a lottery.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I wouldnt know who to recommend around here to be fair, too many hit and miss places.

Interestingly Andy Harland came up in convo today, one of my mates worked with him years ago and said hes ex renault master tech.

Clio
Update.. it had new track rod ends fitted by the previous owner and there’s supposed to be a sleeve that fits on the end into the hub, these were missing so they were just rattling around 🫣 cheap fix!

Attachments

• 91026f28-f596-4aa7-bd76-0895ce901389.mov
    1.7 MB
  Clio
M-tech in Lingdale, only 10 mins from where I live. Decent honest guy! I got the car cheap and was ready to throw cash at him to get it roadworthy. Will definitely use him again.