ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.....

Clio 197
Right things have changed for me recently and I have a decision to make....

As ive already mentioned in other threads I have a car to sell but did want to buy a 182 as my next car........I now have a bit more money to play with and the 197 is also in my price range.

I just cannot decide which I prefer, I personally feel the 182 looks a little more meaty but the benefits with the 197 are tempting as well (newer, less miles etc).

I just cant decide which to go for. I have started reading through the Poll: 182 or 197 thread and have noticed more people prefer the 182.

Is the 197 more reliable than the 182? Is there anything to watch out for on the 197 like cam belts etc?

Thanks
James

Clio 197
By its a better car do you mean just all round better? Am I right in thinking that the insurance group of the 197 is cheaper? Whats fuel consumption like?

Thanks for the reply.

James

More people only 'prefer' the 182 because that's what they own.

The 197 is a better car.

Stripped yozza'd cup
Reliability between the 182 and 197 is going to be exactly the same really.
Tbh, the only 197 I would buy is the r27. Otherwise I would definitely have a 1*2 and spend the extra money on mods. You'll have a much more capable car when you're finished.

Fuel consumption on the 197 is worse, insurance is a bit cheaper.

It's certainly a more accomplished car than the 182, but I wouldn't agree that that makes it a better drive. I'd buy a 182 and wait for a 200 or an r27 to be in your price range.

Clio 197
Im not really looking to mod whichever I get though. I like the standard car, if anything it would just be an exhaust or something further down the line but that would only be for improved sounds.

Clio 197
182 = more fun/oldskool imho.

I do agree with this but oldskool isnt always good because I cant afford time/money to be repairing a 6/7 years old car if the 182 breaks but then again I could have the same argument for the 197........Im confusing myself now :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
A Trophy or just buy a 197, then again i'd only own an R27 from the 197 range.

So to summarise. Buy a Trophy or an R27.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I do agree with this but oldskool isnt always good because I cant afford time/money to be repairing a 6/7 years old car if the 182 breaks but then again I could have the same argument for the 197........Im confusing myself now :)

By oldskool i mean the way it drives/offers feedback to the driver, not that it unreliable lol ...

I have a Trophy, purely because its flipping brilliant.

Stripped yozza'd cup
The R27's better than the 182. A normal 197 isn't IMO.

The 200's better than either.

^^^this. The only 197 that's worth buying over a 182 is an R27. If you can't stretch to that, then buy a trophy if you're planning to keep it standard.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The R27's better than the 182. A normal 197 isn't IMO.

The 200's better than either.
I feel a little like that with the Trophy and the 182's. I'd rather just go for the Trophy than save a bit and go for a 182. Bit like the R27.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Agreed.

But the gap between 182 > Trophy is narrower than 197 > R27/200.

I was 90% buying a Trophy I saw before I bought my car. But the Trophy isn't Racing Blue. :eek:

Stripped yozza'd cup
The trophy is only worthwhile if you're going to keep it standard suspension wise IMO.

Since you could buy a 182, a pair of bimarco's and some good coilies and still be spending less money, I'd find it difficult to hand my money over for a trophy.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Agreed.

But the gap between 182 > Trophy is narrower than 197 > R27/200.

I was 90% buying a Trophy I saw before I bought my car. But the Trophy isn't Racing Blue. :eek:
Agreed mate, I nearly bought a Trophy just before my FRP.

Does everything so well the Trophy.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
agreed and +1.

I heart them.

I love that I don't need to go to a Turbo with my next car with the likes of the DC5 out there. Even an FN2 possibly, those Champ white ones look very very good in the flesh JDM.

Not a 320d
R27 Or Trophy.

Beware of the 197 gearbox problem though. Having experienced the TL4 box going myself, I would definately not buy a clio that had no warranty.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Since you could buy a 182, a pair of bimarco's and some good coilies and still be spending less money, I'd find it difficult to hand my money over for a trophy.

Not so sure tbh, you forget that the poncy wheels & seats in a Trophy sell for £1250 themselves .... leaving you a lot of money to buy normal wheels/Bimarcos if you're turning it into a track car anyway ... ;)

Then if you dont like the Sachs, you can get rid of that for £500 as well ...

For me, a Trophy is a far better base from a monetary perspective!!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
agreed and +1.

I heart them.

I love that I don't need to go to a Turbo with my next car with the likes of the DC5 out there. Even an FN2 possibly, those Champ white ones look very very good in the flesh JDM.

Terrible drive. :dapprove:

Stripped yozza'd cup
But if you get rid of the seats, wheels and sachs, then you've basically got a red 182 anyway? I suppose there's not a lot in it really.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Terrible drive. :dapprove:
:( I thought the standard one I drove wasn't that bad, the 19's made for a hard ride but it looked good. Steering was a bit meh but it never came accross as trying to be a real drivers car just a decent hot hatch.

Massively better with eibach's and a geo set up. Night and day.
I wasn't aware they did stuff for the FN2.

Carry on.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
FN2's are weak. End.

You shouldn't need to fiddle with them out of the box to make them almost as good as the previous generation car.

Clio 182
I was in your position last month and I decided to buy a 2005 182 with low miles and belts done and am going to keep it for 1-2 years until I can afford a Megane 250. On saying that the way things are now financially, I may have to keep it for 5 years!!

Stripped yozza'd cup
I wasn't aware they did stuff for the FN2.

Carry on.

They certainly do. My best mate owns one. To be honest, having heard how bad everyone says it out of the box, I was pleasantly surprised with it standard.... It's not that bad. But with the geometry set up and springs, it's wonderful. Set up by tdi south, where the guys went for the Essex rolling road day.
It handles remarkably like I'd imagine the cup would if it weighed 200kg more. But with a whole lot less body roll. It gets rid of the crashy ride and the overly 'safe' feeling rear end. Makes it much more pointy. Massive grip and a great engine. I'd consider buying one after driving it with the geo set up.