ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decisions, decisions - help needed.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Its my 30th in November, and I have the greenlight from the better half to spend another chunk of cash on the flamer again. We are getting married in Sept, so I have been saving and I should have some of the pot left over, roughly a £3kish budget give or take. I'm gradually turning the flamer into a second car to run as a track car / toy, but keeping it road legal for 'sunny days'. So far it has (briefly);

- Engine wise; 438 cams, k-tec induction, solid engine mounts, mapped
- Transmission; New gearbox with Gripper LSD
- Handling; Bilstein b14, Whiteline RARB, Eibach 15mm spacers
- Brakes; Brembos and ferodo ds2500's
- external - I'm a big fan of oem, so its just got a cup splitter.

My choice I need help on, is which of the following options do I spend it on;

Option 1 - ITB's
Option 2 - interior strip, 6 point roll cage, two sparco evo seats, willans harnesses, sparco 300mm wheel,
Option 3 - something I have missed........

So, over to the wise guidance of CS. I'm leaning over to Option 2, then track it as much as possible for 18 months or so, then get ITB's when I start to get used to the power / get bored of it on track......

PS. Hope everyone enjoyed CSS today, I was gutted to miss it but the wedding plans ruled my life, again.

M2 Comp
I'm leaning over to Option 2, then track it as much as possible for 18 months or so, then get ITB's when I start to get used to the power / get bored of it on track......

This, imo.

However, I'd only do that if you're going to be using the Clio as a second car. If not, go with Option 1.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I think option 2 would ruin the car as a weekend fun/blast car for the road. If your using it for weekend fun/ trips to shows ect, you need some comforts. You could go less extreme and just remove rear seats, get front buckets and harness, but leave carpets ect in on the floor. Half weld in cage?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I think option 2 would ruin the car as a weekend fun/blast car for the road. If your using it for weekend fun/ trips to shows ect, you need some comforts. You could go less extreme and just remove rear seats, get front buckets and harness, but leave carpets ect in on the floor. Half weld in cage?

I thought this aswell, I think I'll 'half strip it' but get a dash dodger 6 point cage. I want to keep aircon and radio. More of a 'gt' racer than out and out stripped track ****.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Seats are the biggest let down in your (very good!) car. I felt very unsafe sat in yours compared to mine. Purely because the standard seats are useless for track days.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Seats are the biggest let down in your (very good!) car. I felt very unsafe sat in yours compared to mine. Purely because the standard seats are useless for track days.

Lol, hello mate! You sure you didn't feel safe just because I'm that much quicker / the cars more grippy ;) I do know what you mean though, I suspect it will be Option 2. Roll on November.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Option 3 - Cub172 to throw a big party for CSSC???

Seriously though Oli, you know what I think - option 2 makes so much sense, especially given what Dan said.

Really looking forward to seeing the flamer progress, after the more important matter of the wedding, of course.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Like the one I offered him for dirt cheap?!

Don't rub it in, I'm cash strapped until after my honeymoon, else i'd have bought it asap. Tim and Tim, South Central party - good shout! Tim (Atouba) I'll ignore your hating of the Bilsteins! ;) I'll wait until they die, then AST it probably.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Throttle bodies ;) did you see mine yesterday? stock interior and outside, with power and suspension mods. Stripped interiors are the best way to make you hate a car IMO

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Throttle bodies ;) did you see mine yesterday? stock interior and outside, with power and suspension mods. Stripped interiors are the best way to make you hate a car IMO

Sadly I didn't mate, no CSS for me :( I'm worried if I go with Bodies, I'll not leave much room for a further 'power step up' when I'm used to it on track....

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Don't rub it in, I'm cash strapped until after my honeymoon, else i'd have bought it asap. Tim and Tim, South Central party - good shout! Tim (Atouba) I'll ignore your hating of the Bilsteins! ;) I'll wait until they die, then AST it probably.

I don't hate the Bilsteins.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I really don't understand bodies unless you're either competing or are not worried about money at all. Its an obscene amount of money for what is effectlively little gain.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
If it's going to be purely a dedicated track/fast road car, I'd also look at something fully adjustable suspension wise mate, rather than anything else.

Otherwise, slightly more boring, but spend lots on track tuition, petrol and track days :D

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I really don't understand bodies unless you're either competing or are not worried about money at all. Its an obscene amount of money for what is effectlively little gain.

Interesting, unfortunately I'm committed to both option 1 and 2, it's just the timing and order in which they'll be done. I see you and S have somehow managed to be in half of the photos for CSS. You ASW :) by the way, I got my 007 clearance you will be pleased to know, so Internet 'browsing' has returned to its normal level of interest ;)

53 Clio's & counting

I agree with regards to buying new, but 2nd hand bodies offer good gains a N/A engine.

for those who don't know, I gained over 30bhp, and over 20lb ft of torque, and it made a chunk more power and torque anywhere through the rev range, so for bhp per £ it was a good thing, but as said, I completely agree with your post if buying new x

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Exactly mate, I hadn't really thought of that. If you do it all2nd hand and run it off the std ecu, then it's worthwhile. Spending upwards of £2000 on a set brand new For what, 25hp and the equivalent torque? That's not my bag baby.

53 Clio's & counting
Exactly mate, I hadn't really thought of that. If you do it all2nd hand and run it off the std ecu, then it's worthwhile. Spending upwards of £2000 on a set brand new For what, 25hp and the equivalent torque? That's not my bag baby.

Fully agree, if I was well off, then it would be an option, but being that im not (lol) then I wouldn't be spending it either.

I will also state I was lucky in that fitting was not a problem for me, if I had to pay for fitting too then that would push them above what I would spend

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
But you think they aren't track focused enough? On a different tack, when is the next CSSC nandos trip, and have you had the work done to the Meg?

Only because they're fixed damping.

I haven't had the work done to my R26. RS Tuning need the car two weeks for the hybrid turbo so that's out of the question now unless I find a second hand one (which probably isn't a good idea).

I'll arrange a meet for in a week or two.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Only because they're fixed damping.

I haven't had the work done to my R26. RS Tuning need the car two weeks for the hybrid turbo so that's out of the question now unless I find a second hand one (which probably isn't a good idea).

I'll arrange a meet for in a week or two.

Fair enough. Not good news on the hybrid turbo, but great news on another Nandos meet, cheers mate.