ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dell BSOD please help

Ok so im rigged in to fixing another friends laptop, the amount of fixing i do you'd think id be able to solve it myself but im stuck again

Dell = HELL for sure

inspiron 1570, cant even pull the hard drive out without dismantling the whole laptop :S

Its working ok, under any stress is BSOD mem dumps then restarts...

Ive tried CHKDSK, mem diagnostics, some other diagnostics, win 7 recovery disk, all the options, cant restore it to an earlier date...

Saved this problem info file:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: f4
BCP1: 0000000000000003
BCP2: FFFFFA8004161B30
BCP3: FFFFFA8004161E10
BCP4: FFFFF80002DDD2D0
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\041211-22854-01.dmp
C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-108514-0.sysdata.xml

Any help, greeeeaaatly appreciated!!

mini cooper R50
not a ful, pc geek but maybe a loose memory conection or H/d connection or maybe over heating the list can go on and on

mini cooper R50
think mine is the same model I have at work, will look and see where the memory is tomorrow if I get the chance

Cupra
A mate of mine had a similar issue and it was due to the heat sink on the cooler being completely clogged which meant instant overheating. Open it up and vacuum the heatsink and cooler fan, it might help.

think mine is the same model I have at work, will look and see where the memory is tomorrow if I get the chance

Cheers mate, i know where the ram is, taken one stick out, nothing changed, ill try the other now.

A mate of mine had a similar issue and it was due to the heat sink on the cooler being completely clogged which meant instant overheating. Open it up and vacuum the heatsink and cooler fan, it might help.

Cheers mate, actually a good suggestion it was getting hot, ill see if that fixes is, suppose it could be heatsink not seated propperly or just using s**t thermal grease, would that cause BSOD though?

Anyone got an idea what the BSOD info ive posted means?

Thanks.

I fixed a mate's Acer laptop with the same issue (think Acer wanted about £50 just to investigate the problem)

I took it all apart cleaned out all dust (there was alot !) and applied all new thermal paste to the CPU and GPU

Cost about £5 for the paste and it's been working perfectly since last summer

Ive tried again to system repair to an earlier date... wont do it, chkdsk /f and /r... no problems

Memory diagnostics, no problems,

Disk clean up, then ran CC cleaner, a lot of old unneeded files cleaned up.

Still the problem, im currently waiting for home premium disk to finish as an actual install disk... because the repair disk i have hasnt come up trumps... im going to do a repair install and keep all the old files and just hope that works...

Last resort is take laptop apart for cpu heat sink reset... it doesn't seem to be running too hot, i might hoover the vents out from the outside though..

Before it was BSODing even in safe mode...i think :S cant remember, is that possible? BSOD in safe mode?... anyway after all the stuff ive done... im now running a scan and a few other things to stress it and its coping ok... but im sure if i go back into normal mode it will blue screen...

Ill check the bios and have a look, cheers.... just waiting for the repair install disk.

DCi
Sounds like heat to me, but I'm surprised that it is so hard to dismantle. How old is it? Get it vacuumed anyway!!

I have an inspiron 15xx and it's just 2 screws :-s

Ive been stressing the laptop in safe mode, for 2.5 hours now, no BSOD atm,

I will try normal mode when the scans complete

Im not sure its one of the new models where you can pick the colour lid, the hard drive is under the track pad and yeah you literally have to dismantle the whole laptop to get at the hard drive, bloody ridiculous!

Cheers adam downloaded that ill try it in safe mode...

I ran a scan, had ie open and put music on for 2.5hours, it was fine, rebooted into normal and BSOD...

Just hoovered out the vents, clean as a whistle... suppose it could be heat sink poorly mounted?

Ive got an install disk, but windows wont load long enough for me to repair i dont think...

You cant repair with a disk in safe mode can you?

Cheers adam downloaded that ill try it in safe mode...

I ran a scan, had ie open and put music on for 2.5hours, it was fine, rebooted into normal and BSOD...

Just hoovered out the vents, clean as a whistle... suppose it could be heat sink poorly mounted?

Ive got an install disk, but windows wont load long enough for me to repair i dont think...

You cant repair with a disk in safe mode can you?

Memtest runs independantly of the OS. ;)

And as for repair, you can boot to setup then select recovery console and run the sfc commands to check it.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/sfc-scannow.htm

Cheers Adam appreciate the help im running memtest from boot now... i got a win 7 home premium disk just like what is installed on the laptop

Got into the user account without bsod and running setup it looks like i can only delete the partition and do a fresh install? i cant see any way to do a repair install??

Ill try sfc, i hope something works soon getting drained!

What as in gone the wrong routes... or you talking about the fresh install? i havent done the fresh install... im running memtest now... then ill try sfc, cheers.

Evo 5 RS
just guesses without seeing tbh but you should format reinstall to eliminate stubborn software problems anyway then go from there

I cant even get into windows without it BSODing to do the SFC... looks like it might have to be a fresh install hope i can get this SFC to work..

Have the install disk in the drive just need to get cmd up.

Ok sorry to revive this but i need more advice, im also using a thread ive made on bit tech but its slow and cliosport seems to come through on nearly every topic of interest better than others,

So i installed a fresh copy of home premium, perfect, ran a film on for a while no bsod... went to activate it and realised id used a off the shelf disk, and it needed to be dell oem, so ive got a dell disk and upon install at the final finishing steps i received the same BSOD...

Now... its looking to me like the hard drive is on its way out, it made a very slight ticking sound but ive had all sorts of hard drives that make different sounds and are fine... im possibly thinking it could just be overheating, the fan seems ok its blowing out hot air but if its still got crap thermal grease on its just overheating and BSOD'thing

From the other forum the bloke has basically told me the best way is to nuke ever possible angle in some ways, new memory, fresh hard drive and reset the heatsink, check for signs of damage, now this is a big job... for something that i thought a repair disk would solve... when i changed the ram about i cut the blank sticker anything on it was worn off... but instead of the service tag i thought was on there... im now thinking ive cut the warranty sticker?

I think the laptop is 13 months old... is that out of warranty? im trying to get windows on there and working, and if it BSOD's again ill just have to say sorry its going to be this price or as it is because it will just take too much time for me to fix... ive already spent about 6 hours on it in the background...

Advice please...

rs 200
"So i installed a fresh copy of home premium, perfect, ran a film on for a while no bsod" + "so ive got a dell disk and upon install at the final finishing steps i received the same BSOD..." = driver in my mind

Possibly with the Dell disk? could be i guess, spose i could try the off the shelf disk again and see what happens... tried again with the dell and got BSOD at the end...

After bsod with dell disk, tried off shelf disk again, no problems what so ever... forgot to say dell oem disk is being run off an external hard drive because it was dual layer dvd format and i dont have a dual layer drive too big to burn to single layer so i booted the iso off an external hard drive... when it gets to completing and checking the video setup performance is when it bsod'ths... any ideas?

Evo 5 RS
out of interest what model is it?

Edit: Reading fail, ok there was a big recall on these when they were launched. It's a common fault. Seeing as it's really irractic too it makes sense..

You CAN replace the graphics controller or get someone to, but it's easier to replace the motherboard

Last edited:
Inspiron 1570,

Im thinking very slightly possibly hard drive on its way out but thats only because it makes a very slight ticking could be perfectly normal, fan doesnt seem to spin very fast, seems to be quite docile and the minimal air coming out is hot, although the fan does spin up faster on occasion, havent seen anything in bios to disable a quiet hsf and get it running faster, wondering if the cpu is getting very hot and the hsink is doing a crap job of cooling it, on some laptops do the gpu and cpu get cooled together? could explain a lot...

Seeing as its bscreening on video performance test im still also on the overheating problem route, but on the off the shelf install disk it just tested for 10 seconds and loaded the profile perfect, on this dell version running off hard drive it seems to test much longer and then the bsod...

Do not want to strip it but seems the sensible thing to do and rule out the overheating possibility.

Evo 5 RS
it'll be the graphics chipset mate, they cook constantly, although it's mainly in the lower model down from yours.

The old latitudes do it as well. I'd put money on it

edit: if the hard drives ticking, it's another possibility) You could try loading XP onto a USB pen drive and see if the problem persists otherwise (if you don't have any spares kicking around)

hard to know without seeing it tbh

Ahh, that would explain it mate, im kicking myself for taking it on now, thinking it would be a simple recovery disk fix... never the way

Ive cut the sticker over the back cover to switch the memory sticks about, whatever was on there was worn away... my mate said it was over a year old... the standard warranty is 1 year isnt it? i hope its over due otherwise i might have naffed the warranty for him...

I hate dell.

Thats what i thought mate, was a sticker over the cover for it, and covered a screw though... im going to take it apart hopefully without too much trouble ...

Just stripped and rebuilt it, so shocked.... there was NO thermal grease/pad anything on the gpu, probably the cause of overheating for sure... on the cpu... WTF... a brownish pad and then a blue pad... im sure theres not supposed to be both on there, the other chip... not sure what it was had thermal paste on... all 3 cleaned and applied arctic silver 5... should be much much better...

However that was f**king stressful... one of the gold connectors off the wireless fell off, then the other because it got snagged.. f**k... i tried to put them back on carefully but it hasn't gone to plan, the wire needs to enter the middle perfectly doesnt it... f**king hell why me! is there anywhere i can buy these connectors? ill look now, found a whole new replacement loom but that means ive got to wait and then take the screen apart... a small job had turned into an absolute nightmare, i just pray to god windows installs.

at my wits end now, i know theres no replys to my problems at the moment, but if anyone reads all this then can help id be greatfull, so after f**king the wireless loom connectors, i bought a new loom off ebay, as if that hasnt pissed me off enough,

Upon assembling the laptop and firing it up, the cmos has obviously been reset, i didnt think to go into the bios... installing windows... cant install... no hard drive... into the bios... no hard drive recognised... strip laptop, check cables, fire it up, nothing, strip again, take the hard drive out, format it on my own computer, reassemble (yes i was going mad and still am)... it recognises... now i tried to install and it said it couldnt, check bios to make sure the bios will suport it being bootable which is what im doing now, however the bios is verrrry slow i guess because its got no OS? :S

just now i had a black screen with error hard drive failed to do something, im not sure if the hard drive is shagged, its recognising now, it worked fine on my computer... i just want to get windows on it and give it back tbh!!

Clicking on the hard drive it saids LBA format is that right ?! doesnt sound it...now im going to try and look around see if i can... sunder advanced SATA mode is showing AHCI... is this the right setting?

Its a roller-coaster of fun aye! im now glad the hard drive is recognising meaning its not a faulty cable that i probably wouldnt be able to trace... then now im not sure if the hard drive is f**ked or its just a simple setting!

clio
Why not get some sort of live cd to run diagnostics from ubuntu or something similar. then you can start to rule out drivers and narrow down which it is

Its working now, did some googling and yeah found the ahci to ide option late last night, incredibly slow bios, took about 15 mins to get to the option, the laptop is now working and i am very relieved,

there was no thermal pad... nothing on the gpu, thats why it was over heating, the hard drive... i had an error of: error: 0200: failure fixed disk 0 but i think its because i had the achi setting on at the time.

Its for a boy mate! being paid, im doing it more of a favour to learn more than anything else, whenever i take something on i hate it, but feel very happy once ive fixed it, learnt a lot this time round, mainly dell=s**t as said.

Now both gold connectors that snap onto the mini wireless card are off... i have them both, one is a bit mashed... i dont think im going to be able to put them back on... ive got a replacement loom coming to me but id love to get the wireless working now... what are the little connectors called?

DCi
Lol!! I didn't check this thread for a while thinking it was simple overheating but fair does for sticking at it!