ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dell laptop problem

DCi
Did you look through your start up items to see if anything suspicious was there?

Also as someone said you might want to update drives in safe mode/disable as much hardware as you can in device manager and slowly turn it on until something causes a lock up.

as an aside we use 90% dell desktops here at work and they never go wrong (hardware wise) My dad has had numerous dell laptops and I've never heard him say his have gone wrong either. On the other hand their customer service lines are something to complain about!

but anyway that is not what this topic is about...

Golf R/Leon FR
yeah iain checked the start up menu, unclicked everything, restarted it in normal mode and its still freezes??

do you think re-installing windows in they best thing to do?

will it take ages?

Better than yours. C*nt.
If you've got all the software licences and discs for what you've got installed, it'll take you about a day if it's your first go. Takes me now an hour (maybe hour and a half!) depending on what's being installed but I seem to do it on a weekly basis!

DCi
pretty much, was going to say its not reinstalling windows itself that is a big job it's putting all your applications/games/carrying files over which can cause a ball ache of a job!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Have you tried a system restore? It does work sometimes. Otherwise I would backup all your docs in safe mode then reinstall Windows. Get it how you like it with all your software and updates.... Then get hold of a copy of Acronis backup software and create your self an image.
Then if it goes wrong again it will take you about 20 min to slap the new image back on, job done.

Golf R/Leon FR
can you do a system restore in safe mode?

if not the computer freezes in normal mode so i cant get to do it

Better than yours. C*nt.
I've always turned system restore off as I've used it twice to have it screw the machine.

Golf R/Leon FR
i tried to do it again but froze (as expected)

is there a guide on how to re-install windows? just dont want to make any mistakes

ive saved all my documents, pics onto a usb stick. i dont really have anything else to save. ive only got limewire, mozilla on that ive put on myself.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I've always turned system restore off as I've used it twice to have it screw the machine.

i've used it a few times over the years and its only ever messed up with me once I think. But seen as it was already messed up it was worth a try at the time.

is there a guide on how to re-install windows? just dont want to make any mistakes

ive saved all my documents, pics onto a usb stick. i dont really have anything else to save. ive only got limewire, mozilla on that ive put on myself.

System restore worked in safe mode in XP so should with Vista I think. (only one waay to find out I gues;) )
Try this for your guide on reinstalling Vista. Its fairly straight forward to do.

http://www.vista4beginners.com/How-to-install-Windows-Vista

As i said before once you have it up and running and are happy with it then obtain a copy of Acronis and run a full backup. Will save you a lot of time in the future if it goes tits up again. It's really easy to use:)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

i've used it a few times over the years and its only ever messed up with me once I think. But seen as it was already messed up it was worth a try at the time.

System restore worked in safe mode in XP so should with Vista I think. (only one waay to find out I gues;) )
Try this for your guide on reinstalling Vista. Its fairly straight forward to do.

http://www.vista4beginners.com/How-to-install-Windows-Vista

As i said before once you have it up and running and are happy with it then obtain a copy of Acronis and run a full backup. Will save you a lot of time in the future if it goes tits up again. It's really easy to use:)