ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dell laptop problem

Golf R/Leon FR
my 4 month old laptop has stopped working. it turns on, boots up fine. but if i try to do anything it freezes so i have to switch it off.

any ideas on what is up with it??

03 clio 1.2 16v
defo is th HDD.... defrag
d frag dont do nothink m8 just moves sectors around like having 20 spoons all over your house you just put all the spoons in the same place so there easyer and quicker to find.

sounds like you have a virus in explorer try formatting the hard drive and putting you windows back on it from the recovery disk hope it helps

ps imo i would take the laptop and put it face up so you can see the dell sign and smash it as hard as you can with a lump hammer.

DCi
tbh the first thing I would do if you want to have a go at fixing it yourself is get it booted up in safe mode (keep pressing F8 when its booting up) that would at least say your HDD is working fine and you have a software fault somewhere

and have a snoop around for anything odd. If you want some clues where to look post back here.

If your not really sure or don't want the effort, warranty is an easy win.

Golf R/Leon FR
well ive copied the hdd test thing, booted the computer but nothing else happens?

is there anything else i can do to sort it?
it works fine in safe mode, but nothing else

DCi
safe mode > start > run > type 'msconfig' > startup tab

you have a choice now:

you can either untick everything, and your comp should start working, then you can tick one by one until your comp breaks again and then you know whats breaking it

or

you can google each item and try and work out what it is

that's if nothing stands out in the list as an obvious virus or something.

That would be my first port of call anywho.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
well ive copied the hdd test thing, booted the computer but nothing else happens?

is there anything else i can do to sort it?
it works fine in safe mode, but nothing else

Have you installed new drivers or anything recently ?

Better than yours. C*nt.
lol @ defrag

I think we should have a minimum requirement of 10 years industry experience for posting solutions in this section... FPMSL at defragging.

Sounds like a heat issue. What Dell laptop is it? Some are known for having a dodgy chip, but also it could be that the fan has failed.

Golf R/Leon FR
ive ran a system test from the boot up menu when you press F12

its shown up 3 errors about the hdd, the fan went through the test fine.

mike its an inspiron 1525

Better than yours. C*nt.
its a dell you know you was thinking it too lol

dell.jpg

Actually no, I just think you're a bit of a pillock. Got tons of Dell kit, and it rarely goes wrong. We've got a pile of 7 year old Dell servers which were upgraded as part of a refresh, and apart from being 7 years old technology-wise, they're fine. Only one has gone pop, and that was a PSU that went... These things happen!

03 clio 1.2 16v
Actually no, I just think you're a bit of a pillock. Got tons of Dell kit, and it rarely goes wrong. We've got a pile of 7 year old Dell servers which were upgraded as part of a refresh, and apart from being 7 years old technology-wise, they're fine. Only one has gone pop, and that was a PSU that went... These things happen!

might be ok in the biz world but for eveything else there pants everyone is entitled to there opinion and thats mine

Better than yours. C*nt.
HDD errors being?

And a 1525 isn't available with the nVidia chip that caused the issue, so it's looking less likely that it's a heat issue. A good idea would be to run something like CoreTemp - that will eliminate heat as being an issue.

Answers to those two will tell us where it's going wrong - it may yet be software related but it's unusual for it to stop that late on if it's software - although it may be the Samsung stuff. Not sure whether it's improved but 4 years ago it wasn't particularly great with resources.

Better than yours. C*nt.
might be ok in the biz world but for eveything else there pants everyone is entitled to there opinion and thats mine

No, IMHO 'everyone is entitled to there opinion' (their, I assume you mean?) is an excuse. Everyone is entitled to their opinion IF they can justify it.

Without, I'm afraid:

stfu.jpg

Also, how do you differentiate 'the business world' and 'the home user'? Their support center is in the same place, and the hardware is made by the same people and typically shares a lot of key components.

Do you hate Skodas as well?

Better than yours. C*nt.
Could be a driver deadlocking. Especially as he says it starts in Safe Mode.

True - could also be worth looking in the Windows Update section if it's Vista for installed updates, or alternatively looking in Add/Remove Programs (Show Updates) in XP to see if Windows Update installed any updates lately... I know for a while WU was pushing a dodgy Intel driver down that didn't work on 945 IGPs.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
get the f**kers to sort in under warrenty, just dont listen to them when they tell you that you need to pay them £160 for a new hard drive because they are talking s**t...

Better than yours. C*nt.
get the f**kers to sort in under warrenty, just dont listen to them when they tell you that you need to pay them £160 for a new hard drive because they are talking s**t...

WTF?

I assume you got charged because you 'saved' £50 by having a one year RTB warranty instead of a 2-year on-site?

More fool you TBH. On-site Warranty FTW.

03 clio 1.2 16v
well to justify it i have had nothing but problems with dell including 3 latitudes 1 insperatioin and 2 dimentions all cack

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
dell.jpg

Notes 7 eh ;)

mail.jpg

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
WTF?

I assume you got charged because you 'saved' £50 by having a one year RTB warranty instead of a 2-year on-site?

More fool you TBH. On-site Warranty FTW.

No mate, do you not remember my problem 2 weeks ago?

Dells response: Give us £160 for us to post you a new hard drive then go pay a computer shop £x to install it and transfer ur files.

Local computer shops repsonse: Give me £40 and ill just fix the corrupt file on your user account and it will be all sorted.

c***s should be shot, bang out of order tyring to rip people off like that!

Audi S1
lol... when i said do a defrag i was serious... if the computer is running slow... i would do a defrag, we dont now how much data and stuff his stored on it... personally ild try it. if that doesnt work just reload windows... if they dont work speak to dell

Better than yours. C*nt.
Why is Dell responsible for your f**king your installation of the Operating System up? This is what frustrates me, because it's a Dell/Sony/Toshiba computer it's instantly Dell/Sony/Toshiba's fault when YOU install dodgy software and YOU corrupt the installation.

Give me a hardware fault, and I'll gladly point the finger at Dell. Until then your only issue is that someone in India couldn't solve a software issue that YOU caused and ISN'T covered by ANY of Dell's home warranties.

TBH, you haven't a leg to stand on.

As for leotroll or whatever, what problems have you had then? As with 6 computers having 6 problems I'm not particularly fussed - you may just be the victim of 'bad luck' or even user stupidity as above. I've had well over 15,000 Dell systems under my nose and they've been pretty much brilliant for what they were purchased for. I've got a Dell Optiplex GX50 sat in my cold, damp garage acting as my firewall... It's older than this forum!

Better than yours. C*nt.
Notes 7 eh ;)

mail.jpg

Wouldn't be using it if I could get away with it, but I've been told if I get caught with the Outlook connector on my computer I'll get a shoeing!

Would like Notes 8, but our 'communications' team haven't had chance to look at it yet so all we get is a user-unfriendly interface and shoddy featureset.

In a months time, I don't give a shiny. I get to put an Exchange 2007 server in as part of my first month at my new job :rasp:

lol... when i said do a defrag i was serious... if the computer is running slow... i would do a defrag, we dont now how much data and stuff his stored on it... personally ild try it. if that doesnt work just reload windows... if they dont work speak to dell
In this case the laptop is actually freezing and not just running slowly.

I would add though that disk fragmentation can cause hangs on windows servers so don't rule it out completely as a troubleshooting step, especially if users are storing PSTs on it (which is not supported)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/245077

Audi S1
i work in IT support for stores... when there tills are slow/freezing (windows bulid) defrag and chkdsk sometimes work..give it ago nothing to loose

Or as i said just reinstall windows

Better than yours. C*nt.
In this case the laptop is actually freezing and not just running slowly.

I would add though that disk fragmentation can cause hangs on windows servers so don't rule it out completely as a troubleshooting step, especially if users are storing PSTs on it (which is not supported)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/245077

Whilst correct, strictly speaking that's not a hang - it's just running extremely slowly and should recover itself ;)

Although if you've let your server get that bad, I'd go ask HR for your P45.

Better than yours. C*nt.
i work in IT support for stores... when there tills are slow/freezing (windows bulid) defrag and chkdsk sometimes work..give it ago nothing to loose

Or as i said just reinstall windows

So EPOS support then... Whilst I don't wish to sound condescending, that's not exactly IT support...

Besides, bin them if they do that sort of thing, get a nice shiny new one with a flash drive running XPe or CE .NET.

Golf R/Leon FR
as said i can get past the sign in stage, but if i try to do anything it freezes.

the errors are:

error code: 0F00: 0244
msg: disk_0_Block 54346472: cant read, replace disk, or remove write protection.

code: 0F00: 0240
block 54346473: read error, replace disk.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Got both of those showing on a Latitude sat next to me, which works fine. Just bad sectors, it happens. Shouldn't be anything to cause the issue you're having.

I'd be tempted to use safe mode, save all your stuff onto a USB p**n stick and reinstall Windows tbh, it doesn't seem to have any inherent hardware issue.