ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dent removal / bodyshop?

ex Clio 172 owner :(
When I bought my car I didn't notice a dent in it.

Took it back and the Renault dealer put me in touch with a Dent Wizard guy saying they would cover the costs.

Seen him this morning and he says that, the position it is, he can't remove it - something to do with the wing being double skinned at that point.

I'm going to get back to the Renault dealer and see what they say but they're likely to bodyshop the car.

My concern is that they'll sort the dent out alright but not do a top job on the paint.

Are they likely to match the paint spot on so that you can't tell or I am going to notice it's been sprayed?

The dent's not very noticeable unless you're looking for it.

dent2.gif

dent1.gif

Clio 04 172 Cup
As long as it not metalic silver they will probaly be able top match it up very well indeed and you im sure you wont even notice at all.

It is metallic silver. It's an Iceberg Clio 172.

I just don't want to end up with a dent free car but one that looks different colours.

Mini Cooper S sport
Chris1.4RT said:
Anyone else think it'll be ok being sprayed?

I think it will be fine. I never thought the bodyshop I used could remove the key damage on my car, especially as he said racing blue was a really difficult colour to match - but he did!

It'll be fine I'm sure.

Punto/Clio GTT
silvers the hardest colour to match. mainly due to metamerism.

fortunatly in your case, the repair is away from any other panels and also pretty low down on the car. i wouldnt be surprised if they blew it in to save laquering the entire quarter. as even laquer can send a colour miles off

Punto/Clio GTT
it will be a local repair, they will keep the repair as small as possible, and instead of prepping the entire rear quarter and laquering all of the rear quarter, they will basecoat to about the yellow line, and laquer to th epink line, then mop it back so it blends in

dent1.gif

SLK 350
My question would be how on earth didn't you notice that dent? To me its quite prominent. You should ALWAYS look along the line of the car fella.

Any 1/2 decent bodyshop could sort that no problem though mate.

It was 4pm when I bought the car so it was getting on for dark in early Feb. I had my mate with me and we both went over the entire car. I did look along both lines of the car but the dent must have been just below my me and I've missed it.

I thought I had been meticulous, obviously not.

Also as an update to this thread myself...

Benfield Renault Newcastle, where I bought it, point blank refused to bodyshop it. The salesman supposedly got in touch with his boss, though I don't believe him. I argued for ten minutes before having to end the call. They wouldn't do anything else. "We've a business to run and can't fork out £300-400 for repairs a month later" £9000 on a car and they can't take a dent out? Granted, I went back a month later, so there is such a thing as leeway.

Anyway, I sent Benfield Motors Head Office a letter.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I wish to bring to you attention a matter which has arisen since I purchased a vehicle from your Benfield Renault Dealership, Benfield Road, Newcastle.

On the 11th of February, I bought a used Renaultsport Clio 172, registration **** *** for the sum of £8995 using your Black Horse finance and my part exchange Citroen Saxo. On the day of purchase I looked around the car with the salesman, **** ****, pointing out any areas I could see that needed attention before I actually signed for the car. As far as I could see there were some minor cosmetic issues. I collected the car on the 17th February 2006. On that day, I was told I would be sent a letter informing me that a spare key would be ready for me to collect some time over the next week or so.

After a few days of ownership and in particular, washing the car, it was then I noticed a small dent on the driver’s rear quarter wheel arch. This must have been on the car the day I accepted it, as the morning after, I had taken some photographs of the car. Looking back at these photographs, I could see the dent. It was my intention to inform the salesman of this dent. However, before I could do so, I received a courtesy call from a lady at Benfield, whose name unfortunately I don’t recall. I informed her of the dent to the car. Her response was along the lines of ‘bring it in and we’ll take a look at it.’ I thought it would be acceptable to bring the car in for inspection at the same time that I came in for the spare key coding as I live some distance from the garage.

The arrival of the spare key took longer than I thought and it ended up being nearly a month before I managed to actually show **** the dent. His response to me was to seek the help of Dent Wizards, at Benfield’s expense. This was perfectly acceptable to me though I was sceptical they would be able to help due to the location of the dent. Indeed, a few days later, after seeing the Dent Wizard, he took one look at the dent and told me that he would not be able to remove it.

It was my understanding that Benfield had accepted liability for the dent so I got back to **** asking what would be the next step. The Dent Wizard told me the dent was a ‘body shop job.’ I told **** of this and was later informed this was not something Benfield would be prepared to do. I was deeply disappointed by this as, spending more than £9000 with interest on a car, I expected a little understanding and leeway. I was told ‘we have a business to run and cannot fork out £300-400 on something like that’. My response was that it would not cost Benfield that amount but it would cost me that if I were forced to pay.

I have since spoken to friends and family, none of which can believe the lack of aftercare I’ve been given. Any incident they’ve had with a car has always been fully rectified to their satisfaction.

I enclose a computer print of the dent to the car.

I am saddened that I have to write to you in this way but ask you to reconsider the decision.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

Anyway, two days later today, I get a call from the salesman with a bit of humble pie. Hi, Mr Embleton, our head office have been in touch requesting you bring your car in for repair.

:)

Last edited:
  SLK 350
Nice one mate, glad it all worked out for you in the end.

Hope to see the repaired pictures up here soon :)