ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dephaser Pulley

Clio 182 - 147 GTA
Hi Guys,

Having the timing belt etc replaced on my 182, garage suggesting i should get the dephaser pulley replaced at the same time to avoid hassle in the future. What are your opinions? it's an extra £170.... Anybody had trouble with theirs?

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Depends. If the car is low mileage and you have enough reason to believe the oil has been changed early then no, otherwise yes.

Lionel Richie
oil and filter has to be done too

95% of my customers have it changed, if you don't and it fails 6months later you'll have to do the cambelt again = £££

Clio 182 - 147 GTA
It's done A lick under 60,000 miles. Regular servicing carried out. Almost 6 monthly oil changes. I'm thinking I'll just leave it for now. Are there easy signs to tell if it's on it's way out?

Thanks for your help guys.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
At 60,000 I'd be changing it tbh!

If it was 30-40k I probably wouldn't bother.

Last edited:
  Audi A3
mine was on 55k and i changed mine, added 140 odd to the bill but better that then another 400 plus for new belts etc

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
At 60,000 I'd be changing it tbh!

If it was 30-40k I probably wouldn't bother.

I've got a customer with an F4R Scenic who is on 96k plus pocket change and still on his original depahser... he gets me to service it every year regardless of mileage. When I did the timing belt I advised it as Fred does but it was solid with no signs of play so the guy said leave it - Still going strong!

I always keep one of each in stock just in case I get part way thru a job and find one is needed.

Mick

ITB'd MK1
with regular servicing they're fine. If it was close to 100k I'd say do it, otherwise, if it's quiet then it's just wasting money. I'll happily change one for a nominal cost if it gets noisy within 6 months after doing a belt change.

I must be making too small a margin........

RB 182
Mine got replaced at 63k after the cambelt was done and has been serviced regularly. It's either £170 more now or if it does go £500+ later. Personally I'd do it.

Clio 182 - 147 GTA
Cheers guys, i'm just going to leave it be, unless there are signs that it is starting to go.

Thanks for all your input though, good to know there is one with 120,000miles on it!

Ph1
120k's was just when mine went mate. No idea what the average is for these? Agree with Danny tho, regular oil changes and replace when its coming up to or about 100k

Clio 182 - 147 GTA
I'll probably do it when i get the accessory belt done in a couple of years.

Though if i had £170 lying around i'd do it now...

330i. E30 Touring.
I'll probably do it when i get the accessory belt done in a couple of years.

Though if i had £170 lying around i'd do it now...

I wouldn't bother in your situation matey.

I can see both sides of the coin on this, and if it was a cheap part I'd probably advise it's done every time, but seeing as yours has had regular changes and is low mileage, i'd bet it'll be ok for a while yet.

PB172
I had mine done with the cambelt as I thought it won't need doing for a few years and will save me money in the future. Just my opinion though.

182 in white
I didnt change mine about 6k ago when i had my cambelt done but chatting to Mick it sound s as thou is now decided to go, not a problem for me as im doing the work but a pain in the ass never the less. I would change it while doing the cambelt.

Golf GTD Mk7
Regularily serviced mine, and it went when the belts were changed at 60K. Your gamble mate. At the price of them it's worth it for piece of mine imo. Plus you won't have to fork out for a full belt service again. who's doing the work?

Clio 182 - 147 GTA
It's RenTec in Edinburgh that's doing the work. I haven't used them before but seem to get a good write up.

I don't really think of it as a gamble, it's either I pay £170 now or maybe pay £500 in the future, and i'd get a new timing belt/aux belt too! I may be eating my words in a few months but hey! You are all allowed laugh at me then!

My previous 182 didn't have it replaced either...

Golf GTD Mk7
The problem is that when they are disturbed and the belts tightened, that can start it off straight away. Wish I had a vid of mine. 10miles after belt change and it was fubar