ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dephaser pulley?

Clio 172 cup
Really? If so that sucks as it was at Ktec on Monday for an oil change would have thought they would have said something about it!

Thanks

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Yup normally due to a lack of oil changes iirc, sounds just like mine used to. I assume its fine before the engine gets warm?

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Mine has this issue. The above comment has confirmed it for me. It's not noisy until the oil warms.

Clio 172 cup
Is it something i have to get changed immediately? I only had the cam belt done last month! Another question... I have an odd whining sound it only happens when im in 5th gear! It sounds like spinning a drill really fast with it being turned on?! It still does it if i have my foot on the clutch..

Thanks

Is it something i have to get changed immediately? I only had the cam belt done last month! Another question... I have an odd whining sound it only happens when im in 5th gear! It sounds like spinning a drill really fast with it being turned on?! It still does it if i have my foot on the clutch..

Thanks

school boy error if it was noisy last month you should of changed it then really you have to pay out the same you just have again now plus price of dephaser:(

Clio 172 cup
I didnt know i would have had it done if bought to my attention! I dont want to pay another £429 and then another £180 for a dephaser! To be honest i dont know how it hasnt been picked up it has been at Renault last week Ktec 3 times in the last month

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I didnt know i would have had it done if bought to my attention! I dont want to pay another £429 and then another £180 for a dephaser! To be honest i dont know how it hasnt been picked up it has been at Renault last week Ktec 3 times in the last month

Ye that's bad, you would of thought someone would of mentioned it as its hardly something you wouldn't hear or isn't common! Plus they could of got more money out of you :S Its a cambelt off job to replace it :( If they get really bad your cam timing can go out, I assume worse case they will break and take part of your engine with it.

Clio 172 cup
Briliant! I bought this car to be more economical and more reliable than my old car and its just a never ending money pit!

Thanks

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I feel bad for you but this is the truth :( Cambelt/gearbox changes are always going to be the expensive ones im afraid, no escaping it. In general going off the experience of my current 172 and the last, they are cheap enough cars to run, assuming things don't start going wrong, but that could of said for any second hand car. Its just s**t luck this wasn't picked up when your cambelt was done!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They tend to just get noisier and noisier until its so embarassing that you dont want to be sat in traffic in it anymore.
I guess if you left it long enough they would eventually fail in a way that messed up the timing, but its not something that generally happens as they get so noisey first that people change them anyway.

Shame you didnt get it done at same time as the belt though, would have been far cheaper but not much use us all telling you that now of course!

172, Tiguan
You could just change the pulley and then get the existing belt timed back up again. It's not best practice as whilst the whole lot is off you might as well replace, but it'll save you £100 on parts. Being a Cup as well, it's not a massive amount of ballache. I'm sure Ktec will advise.

i have never heard of one failing completely mate like said above they just get louder over time,and the annoying noise eventually makes you change it.

RB 182

Thats really unlucky.

Unfortunately its looking like another £400, or more if you have new cambelt again. Would have thought someone would have advised / mentioned to you about having it done as it seems to be getting quite common now.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Don't worry I feel your pain. I had a second hand 40k engine put in my three weeks ago, had a new cambelt, clutch and water pump added also. The fella who fixed the engine swap etc called and said all done but there is a slight ticking, I thought - that doesn't sound right - and yes its the dephaser, well at least I think. Doesn't make a noise first 5 mins then my car turns into a diesel.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Don't worry I feel your pain. I had a second hand 40k engine put in my three weeks ago, had a new cambelt, clutch and water pump added also. The fella who fixed the engine swap etc called and said all done but there is a slight ticking, I thought - that doesn't sound right - and yes its the dephaser, well at least I think. Doesn't make a noise first 5 mins then my car turns into a diesel.

Trouble is, you really cant blame the guy who fitted the engine as without getting it upto temp you could never be sure. (unless he took it out of a running car that he could have tested in of course)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
You could just change the pulley and then get the existing belt timed back up again. It's not best practice as whilst the whole lot is off you might as well replace, but it'll save you £100 on parts. Being a Cup as well, it's not a massive amount of ballache. I'm sure Ktec will advise.

it would be a belt only (not full kit) replacement job. If it were me I'd do it for a greatly reduced price in the 6 months after a cambelt. I advise most people of this when i give the dephaser pulley option

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Trouble is, you really cant blame the guy who fitted the engine as without getting it upto temp you could never be sure. (unless he took it out of a running car that he could have tested in of course)

Completely agree. Just want it changed so the car runs normally again. I'm getting overtaken by micra's at the moment.