ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dephaser pully - please advise

Clio F1 197 (Black)
hi,

can anyone exlpain what a dephaser pully is etc,

after cam & aux change - oil flush etc still present is a sound - only low rev/gear and more when engine cold rather than hottest

also how much does it cost and part no. if anyone knows

cheers

Stripped yozza'd cup
I just had mine done, at the same time as my cambelt and auxbelt so the guys at rentech kindly did it for cost price. The part was £120 I think???

It's really important... If it snaps, you'll have to get the cambelt and aux belt done again (at very best) and the cambelt and aux belt won't be guaranteed unless you have the dephaser changed too.

Lastly, the dephaser pulley is there to run the variable valve timing.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I just had mine done, at the same time as my cambelt and auxbelt so the guys at rentech kindly did it for cost price. The part was £120 I think???

It's really important... If it snaps, you'll have to get the cambelt and aux belt done again (at very best) and the cambelt and aux belt won't be guaranteed unless you have the dephaser changed too.

Lastly, the dephaser pulley is there to run the variable valve timing.

There has never been a known issue of one actually failing, iirc (sharing off for example) they just get noisy. I've known of a members car doing it from near new on a Cup and lasting till its cambelt change (70k!) and it was driven like he stole it.

Volvo S60 T5
I have seen one fail and cause valve damage on a phase 1, bends all the inlet valves.
Is it really worth risking it.
The megane / scenic 1.6 ones are awful.

I've been on here over 7 years and previous to the past 6months I've never seen this ever mentioned, let alone deemed essential.

I don't know why it's suddenly so important

ITB'd MK1
I've been on here over 7 years and previous to the past 6months I've never seen this ever mentioned, let alone deemed essential.

They've always been a minor issue, but people are neglecting servicing more recently. I do think it's an over-blown thing currently though.

RB 182 cup,astra sri
I just had my belts done. I asked them to look at the dephaser and listen into it to see if there were any issues. they said it was fine. The guy did say that you would be able to hear it before it goes. Most noticable when cold. In my opinion, the service is expensive enough as it is. Its a judgement call really if you want to get it done or not. Obviously if its making noises and there is lumps knocked out it then probably change it but if theres no noise and it looks ok then probably leave it?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

It seems to have appeared from no where :S When I spoke to Andy at Birchdown, he said if it's been properly looked after in it's life then it isn't worth worrying about.

Clio F1 197 (Black)
It seems to have appeared from no where :S When I spoke to Andy at Birchdown, he said if it's been properly looked after in it's life then it isn't worth worrying about.
you will see diff mate if you had to put up with the sound! mines been very very well looked after and serviced reg!

JMR

RB 182 Cup
So what does a noisy dephaser sound like????

High pitched whine?
Low pitching droning?
Clatter?

Sorry - not afraid to sound thick by not knowing - just interested to find out.

S

sweetman9

I had my dephaser pulley changed yesterday at the same time as my cam and aux belts. Its hard to describe really but its pretty obvious when they need doing cos as soon as I got to NW Performance he noticed it and let me hear the difference between what mine sounded like and what it should have sounded like

Clio 172, Nova Turbo
had the dephaser changed on my clio after 120k i thought i d best chnage the orginal one, wasnt noisey but while the belt was off seems silly not to chnage it especially at the mileage mine is at

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
does it only need chaging if it's REALLY noisy? Mine's going in for the belts but it's no where near sounding like a diesel like I've seen of some on here with vids!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
My car ticks over a little noisey but already had my belts changed so do you recommend getting it seeen to or just put up with a noisey idle?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Fred's sorting it for me cos I struggle getting down to places in the days/weekends. Dropping it off at silly o clock sunday and getting the dirty train back to manc!

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Fred's sorting it for me cos I struggle getting down to places in the days/weekends. Dropping it off at silly o clock sunday and getting the dirty train back to manc!

If you were takin it somewhere else mate, was gonna drop you a pm, just a little experiment...