ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Destructive misfire help..

As title says, my car has a slight misfire at low revs. I've changed the coil pack, spark plugs and leads and it's still there. What should I be looking at changing now? It's got me frustrated. Its not bad but I know its there.

Any help would be great. Cheers.

182FF
I have this issue and have had for about four months :-D changed a
Coil pack! Issue still there :-S

I've had it diagnosed and was told the likely hood was coil pack/leads.

Is there anyway of checking the injectors?

Oh right. I think you can do it by unplugging the injector connector and see if it gets worse, whichever one has no effect indicates the one at fault iirc. I'd get someone to clarify that first though.

53 Clio's & counting
Just checking, have you fitted the right plugs? I had the same, 'distructive misfire' when I was forced to fit Bosche super 4's

53 Clio's & counting
Before cat mate, though they are both the same, the post cat has a longer wire from memory, you can actually swap them round to see if it makes a differnce

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Well with mine it idled ok and drove ok on light throttle cruising but on full throttle it misfired slightly, rear sensor. I'd say have them tested, could try swapping them. CLIP should give you a reading on the sensors

It's odd. Only when idling or gentle throttle. But normal driving is fine, no hint of a misfire. I've got a mate coming round tomorrow to try another 02 sensor. Then I'll try the injectors with Andy if that doesn't work I give up haha.

Megane dci 130
Injector. Remove the plugs and see which one is black and carboned up. That's which cylinder has the fault

There wasn't one that was any worse than the others tbh. I've put brand new ones in so I'll check them again tomorrow when I've driven it back and forward to work.

Hopefully it isn't anything too serious.

Cheers for the advice everyone. I appreciate it.

Liquid Yellow 182
This is the exact problem my clio 1.2 16v is having at the minute, just happens when starting up, pulling away in first gear and second gear low revs. im changing my coil pack, ht leads and spark plugs tomorrow to see if that does the trick.

172 turbo 'cup'
I've got injectors aswell if you need them stu you can have them i'll drop them in for you if you want save's a drive to Andy's

DTM

Clio 188 ph1 438's
I only say about the timing as mine is out on the inlet and has an occasional misfire on low rpm / set off / cold + rough idle but is fine when driven above 1.5 - 2k rpm.

before knowing about the timing I've replaced coil pack, leads, plugs, MAP sensor, O2 sensor, air temp sensor and tdc, but still have an issue, so setting the timing is next. :p (p.s. some of those were replaced due to it running rich when I first got it)

Good news gents. New injectors seem to have cured it.

Cheers for all the pointers. Hopefully it'll be alright for a while now.

Thanks to ND04 for the injectors. I owe you mate!

15MAS

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 & 911 turbo
I am getting a misfire, my car has been in the parked in the garage since last August. Have a track day on Tuesday so thought I better get it out to check it over and it's misfiring. I have checked the following:

No water in plug wells
Spark plugs are correct NGK R all appeared OK and less than 14k miles old
Plug 4 was more sooty and cleaned
Leads original renault and all appeared in good condition.
Tested in garage with lights off. No arcing.
Disconnected leads one at a time from coil, when I disconnected cyl1 was a increase in misfire and stalled when removed leads for cyl 2/3
Marginal change in engine noise when disconnected and connected Cyl 4
When I disconnected HT at Cyl 1 can see strong spark between end of HT lead and coil, weak on cyl 4 but a spark.
Removed injectors and getting fuel from all four
Drove 100 miles to get a new coil back from eurocar parts (only one available on a Sunday) and it was wrong connector plug shape!
None of the local euro parts type places can get a coil for tomorrow.
Not been able to source any plugs in time for track day, no one has any stock these days.

No time to get to a garage before the track session so any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

PH2 172
I am getting a misfire, my car has been in the parked in the garage since last August. Have a track day on Tuesday so thought I better get it out to check it over and it's misfiring. I have checked the following:

No water in plug wells
Spark plugs are correct NGK R all appeared OK and less than 14k miles old
Plug 4 was more sooty and cleaned
Leads original renault and all appeared in good condition.
Tested in garage with lights off. No arcing.
Disconnected leads one at a time from coil, when I disconnected cyl1 was a increase in misfire and stalled when removed leads for cyl 2/3
Marginal change in engine noise when disconnected and connected Cyl 4
When I disconnected HT at Cyl 1 can see strong spark between end of HT lead and coil, weak on cyl 4 but a spark.
Removed injectors and getting fuel from all four
Drove 100 miles to get a new coil back from eurocar parts (only one available on a Sunday) and it was wrong connector plug shape!
None of the local euro parts type places can get a coil for tomorrow.
Not been able to source any plugs in time for track day, no one has any stock these days.

No time to get to a garage before the track session so any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

Check the resistance of HT leads 1 & 4.
If one is higher than the other, the spark will take the easier route.
172/182 runs a dead spark system.

If no joy, swap 1 & 4 injectors.

15MAS

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 & 911 turbo
It’s seems not only is my Clio not working neither is my multi meter, just been out to test and it’s not even showing the main battery voltage. I had tested the injectors by cranking when out against card board. Got four dots.