ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Destructive misfire/ warn camshaft

Hello there I am looking for some advice

I have a Clio 182 04 plate with 62,000 on the clock, just had (3 months ago) full £800 service cambelt/ aux belt, MOT etc

I left my car at the airport for 5 days and when I returned I started the car and it sounded like a tractor, the green rev limiter light came on and the engine orange light was flashing, there was a loud knocking sound from the engine so decided to the turn the engine off and call the AA. When he came he checked the oil and it was a quarter of the way towards the notch. He said this was very low put a litre in and started the car, noise went had gone as well as the lights. I had checked the oil 3 weeks previous and it was fine. Would low oil cause this very loud knocking noise? I assume so as it had gone after a litre of oil, any idea why the Clio would use so much oil as it hasn’t done before.

Anyway the diagnostic machine came up with a code 0612 “destructive misfire” the AA man ran his tests said the coils were fine and could only find a 1% misfire according to the machine. He said this was good his Peugeot has a 6% misfire. Didn’t have the spark plugs changed so they may need changing. Also the engine, when you watch it ticking over, doesn’t seem smooth it seems to bump around a bit, is this just the same with all 182?

Also he said the engine was noisy and it was making a ticking noise as the camshaft was warn, he also looked inside the oil filler bit and said the camshaft ( think that's what he called it) was blue, meaning it was warn for the mileage. Is this something to worry about and is it worth fixing?

Also I would like one of these diagnostic machines are they all OBD II compliant and work with all cars, what would you suggest, I have read on here about an RS tuner are these expensive, sorry I should look into this more before asking.

If anyone has any ideas on the above problems I would really appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Welsh

53 Clio's & counting
mine had distructive misfire and was the plugs so id look at that.

Also id check for a serious oil leak if it has used that much oil

Mondeo TDCI 130
Being stood, can cause them to rattle top end for a brief second as the oil comes up, only for a second or 2 though!

I would say it was probably damp in the plug holes, it is not unusual for the idle to be lumpy tbh! Shouldnt be overly bad though, but they are never smooth.

I have an M reg rover 214 as a second car, runs like a sewing machine compared with my clio! lol.