ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Deterioration of Pass side running gear. hammering and vibration.

had a search but its specific and down right weird...

Driving from work last night I could feel something from the front left wheel, nothing major but you just know when a new noise or rattle has appeared.

Got in the car this morning to go to work and its a little worse, just left work now and its alot worse.

Hard to explain really, feels like the driveshaft is being tapped with a rubber hammer, it gets louder with speed and becomes a strong vibration when you let off the accel peddle. Theres a high pitched chirp intermittent too. The sensation is like somethings wrapped round the shaft and hitting other parts, i can feel the vibration through the steering, but after seeing the bearing fail on the hub it doesnt feel like that.. As the car is lowered i cant even really get in to look at the drop links or arms...

I know the dogbone gear linkage is shot but i doubt that has anything to do with it?

I'm all but done with everything at the moment, then this happens.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365517080.929113.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365517100.613551.jpg

Gearbox mount, been offered a new one. The movement in the engine seems to be from this area an towards the back which I'm guessing equals the dogbone?

It look shot?

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
That mount looks fine tbh.. Can you get hold of the engine and swing it back an forward?

yeh alot more so than the meg. the engine splutters too when running, like internally. although its not the engine itself as i've had it looked over, powers there and it runs fine..

all this cant be from the dogbone can it? could a shaft be fubarred?

​FFS.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Spluttering.. s**t plugs?

Also if you have a jack, get the clio jacked up and have a look at the dogbone, if its as bad as you say with movement then it will be obvious.. Shame your not closer or id have a look for you!

symptoms have changed, if thats even bloody possible... its now the actual wheel, its a grinding/crunching sound which sounds like the bearing internals have collapsed. driven the car four times since last night, every time its doubled in its 'broken-ness'

Got to wait till friday when a mates round to look at the running gear with no wheel in't way