ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Diesel Hothatches! The future?? Top Gear Yesterday

However the only problem is power range the range is quite weak in a diesel where the diesel runs out the petrol is usually just getting started.

- Lack of RPM isn't a problem you just have to drive accordinly stick a CTR driver in a 172 and they'll have a problem trying to drive like they've got an 8k redline. Stick one of the TDI racing drvivers in a CCTR and they'll have to get used to it.

however drop them both into 3rd and its by by diesel car.

- However drop the tdi down a gear etc and the cars are dead even the tdi make more power in a gear a 150 diesel is faster thana 150 petrol as it makes almost 150hp from 2k till 4k the petrol does't.

Diesel is a more efficient fuel just the engines due to being heavier and lower reving arent quite as capable in the top end. Hence where they lack the oomp the petrol engines do.

- They rev low as the parts in them are so heavy since they have to stand the huge compression and temps petrol engines don't. You can get VW diesels to rev to 7k if you fiddle about with thm and still make power for racing but it does affect there life and you need expensive bit.
- The umph they miss at high RPM is bcause they are already making most of there power by 2k and amost 100% by 3.3k so there no jump like the 172/182 5k jump.

Typically a diesel gets a 35-40% increase in power from a remap where as a petrol gets around 10% so with a clio 100 going up to around 140bhp it would be able to keep up with 182's etc till around 55 then the fact the 182 would have more horses would leave it for dead.

- Its more like 25~30%. The 100dci will make about 125~130hp at best. Diesels are usually rated below what they realy make the VAG engine make about 10~20hp more than they calaim when bedded in. Some tunners then use this figure as there claimed starting point for % figures.

I know my new car is goign to them for a remap should be seeing 120ish from the usualy 110 its only a 1.6 16v petrol engine though so not expecting huge amounts of diffrence. Just a little more drivabilty.

-I don't see you getting 10hp from just a remap 3hp if your lucky. No 172 gets 10hp from a remap. Turbo cars make the power since they can have up boost and disesl can have wider air fuel ratios than petrols and are detunned as standard for EGT temps.

Also you won't see 220hp without changing the turbo realistically and paying a fair bit to get a 160tdi to 220hp. I'd take one for a drive first there not that good handling cars I'd rarther pay the extra even with the milage and cost and have a 172/182.