ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Different airfilter/inductions setups in 172/182 - my thoughts

So I have recently realized that I had 5 different inductions setups (lol) on my 172 and thought that I will share my opinions with you about each of them. This could prove helpful for anyone looking for a bit of comparision while choosing induction setup. Please note that it is purely subjective comparision, I have not made RR sessions with each of them ;)

I will put them in chronological order, starting from the one that was installed in my car when I bought it. Also, all of the pictures are from here or from internet, I hope the owners would not mind as they are shown strictly informative.

1. Simota airbox :

IMG_0098.jpg

Pros :
- Sound
Cons :
- as it turned out later, it did not offer any gains in terms of BHP over the standard PH2/PH3 airbox ( I know that this is no a surprise for most of you ).
The car was pretty standard one when I bought it apart from the airbox, and it had really nice sound with this airbox fitted despite standard exhaust.

2. Standard PH2/PH3 airbox :
No picture here, everyone knows how standard item looks like ;)

Pros :
- most consistent performance throughout the whole rev range.
- heat resistance
Cons :
- none really, maybe lack of growl that other kits had
Not much to say, standard item offers very good performance, desplite lacking sound that other kits have. I have tried both K&N and Pipercross filters with item, no difference at all. I have bought it after reading opinions that standard kit is the way to go in 172/182, but after changing from Simota the car has lost the sound that I liked so much, so I reverted back to Simota, even for the sake of performance. After selling number 3 and 4 from the list I was driving all the time on standard airbox. With stainless, decat exhaust fitted in the meantime, the lack of sound was no longer an issue. Also it offers best heat resistance among the kits I have tried.

3. BMC DIA
7488.jpg

Pros :
- Sound
- Performance in higher rpm range
Cons :
- not much tbh

My second favorite kit I had in 172. Car sounded awesome with this induction kit, performance wise it was on par with standard airbox, maybe even little better in higher rpms. With this kit fitted I was able to hold my own against 172 that has printout on 192 BHP. Not saying that it offered massive gains in terms of BHP, but it certainly wasn't dissapoitment. Sold it, beacuse as much as I liked the sound, it was a bit too much for everyday driving. Went back to standard airbox.

4. Fatty's induction kit
CAM00424_zpscbbf9b00.jpg

Pros :
- Sound
Cons :
- Sound (?)

The kit that is widely popular on here. Everyone know what it brings to table, so I will just say that I was quite underwhelmed with it. No real performance gains here, and sound was a bit to chavy and loud IMO. It felt ridiculous with all this roar and growl, when car wasn't even going so fast. I understand that it may be appealing, but it's not my cup of tea. I have switched back to standard airbox after few hundrets km's.

5. V6 airbox
a2yjeneg.jpg

Pros :
- performance
- sound
Cons :
- hard to get where I live

My current and most probable my favorite kit so far, even though I had it for two days ! It offers great sound, step up from the standard airbox but not as loud as Fatty's. Performance wise I must say I am quite shocked, as the common opinion on here is that this kit offers at best little gains, while in my car the difference is quite noticeable. After sorting out my back box I will heat to rolling road to see it it's not only in my mind. I am yet to install CAF to it and I guess it will bring the noise a bit down, but as for now it is quite cold here so it is not an issue.

Conclusion:
From my experience it has turned out that V6 airbox is the one to go in 172/182. Otherwise, standard filter will tick all the boxes and it's not really worth upgrading unless someone would want a bit noise. I know that my conclusions are nothing new for experienced users on here, but I guess it could provide handy for beginners.

Cheers !