ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Difficult gear box?

02 clio 1.2 Authentique
Does any body have the same gearbox (at least i think its the gearbox) problem as this?

Even when the car is practically stationary i tend to get a problem pushing the gear stick into first ready to move off, it is as if there is an obstical or summit. Not quite as severe as that but if youve got the same problem youll know what im talking about.

Any ideas on what the problem is and what i could do about it?

Cheers people!

Lionel Richie
have you tried holding the clutch in for a good 5sec before engaging first???

putting it into second and then into first seems to help

MINI Cooper S
I get this sometimes when i hold the clutch in when i start my car (just a habit), i just put it back in neutral, let the clutch out, push it down again, and it goes into 1st fine.

mk2 ph1
Does any body have the same gearbox (at least i think its the gearbox) problem as this?

Even when the car is practically stationary i tend to get a problem pushing the gear stick into first ready to move off, it is as if there is an obstical or summit. Not quite as severe as that but if youve got the same problem youll know what im talking about.

Any ideas on what the problem is and what i could do about it?

Cheers people!
Does this for me too. Mostly when going down the gears fast.

02 clio 1.2 Authentique
Yeah it does seem to happen more if im coming down from maby 4th to first (stopping) or something similar.

A friend of mine recommended revving the engine to get the rev's up when u put the clutch down to change and then it slips into 1st nicely, but whether or not that is any better for the car? He's also getting a mechanic to look over it next week, so any progress made there will be noted here asap!

Yeah it does seem to happen more if im coming down from maby 4th to first (stopping) or something similar.

Yep its the syncros easy way to do it is to blip the throttle with yout foot down on the clutch. or double declutch ie clutch down stick car in neutral then foot off clutch foot back on clutch and stick it in gear.

So long as its on in most gears forget it chnage the oil can help a bit.

02 clio 1.2 Authentique
So can i change the oil myself or had i better save the hassle of me getting it wrong and get the mechanic to do it? Should i just leave it for a bit and bring it up when i take the car for its service in a couple of months?

So can i change the oil myself or had i better save the hassle of me getting it wrong and get the mechanic to do it? Should i just leave it for a bit and bring it up when i take the car for its service in a couple of months?

Can do it yourself bit annoying need a tube to get the new fluid in etc not to difficult though.

I'd leave it get the garage to do it if you've no tools etc.

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP
i get that also when stopping at a traffic light and coming down from 4 or 3 usually to 1, feels like its grinding against something, i hate that feeling cause i dont wanna break my car :(

i get that also when stopping at a traffic light and coming down from 4 or 3 usually to 1, feels like its grinding against something, i hate that feeling cause i dont wanna break my car :(

Yep its the syncroes don't like it hence why blipping the throttle or double de clucthcing helps.

02 clio 1.2 Authentique
Yeah tried the de-clutching and blipping the throttle ideas, seems to help, but doesnt really do away with the problem entirly.

So im waiting to here back from my mate after he gets his seen to..will let you all know.

polo, here for lols
i have exactly the same problem in mine, infact me and my m8 wer talking about it earliar!! he has the same problem in his mk1.