ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dilemma

Ph2 172 Iceberg
I have a dilemma,

One day my 172 would not start, and since has been parked up on my drive for the past 2 years. :cry:

Now I have posted this thread in the main discussion section as I am not looking for a solution to the cars starting issue, I am looking for your opinions on what you would do in my situation.

Long story short I have the dreaded 'solid red' immobiliser light displayed when the ignition is on. I have tried multiple fixes to no avail, I have scoured this great forum for help and tips, but everything I have tried has not worked.

20150917_163636_zpsayjif8a1.jpg

From what I understand now, the car needs to be connected to CLIP so the issue can be investigated further.

Ok - So here are my options.

1. Have the car towed to someone who knows what they are doing with 172/182's (For example mickpm), and have the car fixed.
2. Call out a Mobile Electrician
3. Call out a Mobile Mechanic
4. Save my money and scrap the car - Invest money into a new car

Now please bare in mind the following
- I purchased the car working perfectly for £600 and planned to use her as a track car
- Even if I get the car running again, it will still require a MOT, tax, insurance and a new dephaser

I love the car but with so many question marks on how much it will cost me to get up and running again I keep thinking should I just invest in something new.

It's just so sad to see the 172 get scrapped when I know mechanically the car is sound!, great car when it works, handling is amazing and I have a soft spot for her. Just very frustrating that it was working fine then one day decided to die on me.

Let me know what you chaps would do.

Last edited:

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
From previous research I thought the general reason and solution for the issue you have is replacing the UCH behind the dash. That seems to be the main cause of immobiliser and non start issue. I take it the car does not even turn over?
Have you tried the basics such as earth straps, key battery, main car battery, fuse, relays etc just in case it is something simple.
A secondhand ECU, UCH and keys can be picked up pretty cheap with all the sports being broken.

Just read the origional question properly! Stick it on ebay as a non runner. Sell and then buy a good one with mot and belts done save throwing money at the one you have. Will need a load of other bits if stood for two years too.

Last edited:

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Selling a car is a lot easier, and you get more money, if its a runner
So maybe join the RAC/AA/ BRitannia and leave it couple weeks, then call them out

They should diagnose, then if you get it going, stick it in for a cheapo (£30) MOT? Trailer it if need be.

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Sort it out and get it on the road! I hadn't started mine in just over 18months needed loads doing! It's now running and I'm loving it again!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as mentioned above, i'd be getting a known working key/ecu/uch set and fitting that

WhiskySniffer

ClioSport Club Member
  Rb182 Cup, GLC43 AMG
Op iv not read up on what fixes you have tried already to sort the immobiliser issues but about 6 months ago I had the same problem.
I tried all the suggested solutions from here regarding relays,Uch and the like but nothing solved it.

I eventually traced it to the 12v supply cable to the Ecu being broken/damaged somewhere, it was only reading 6.8v so I ran in a replacement wire and it has started no problem ever since.

Ph2 172 Iceberg
Thanks for all the replies.

I sold the car in the end 😞.
Sold the car to a friend who is a mechanic, he stripped back a load of plastic covering the wiring loom and found a break in two wires (purple and cream wires).
After fixing the wire break the car fired up into life!

So the good news is she did not get scrapped and lives on.

I have purchased a Cooper S and so won't be on the forums anymore but thanks for all the help along the way! Great forum!

Cheers