ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ding Ding, Coilovers round 2

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Ive just sold my Spax RSX kit after having them on my PH1 for just under a year. The height adjustment on the front wouldnt go low enough and they where starting to rust under the coating.

Im now after another set for my road car which is only a weekend toy. I lost money on my Spax so i want to buy right this time.

My requirments are.

1, Must adjust low enough to look right, my car is on spacers so i dont want a big arch gap. Damping adjustment would also be nice.
2, Dont want plated bodies as i hate things rusting, the Spax where powered coated which started to come off and where rusting under the coating.
3, If anything goes wrong i want it to be sorted out with minimal fuss.

So this is the short list i have come up with.

1, AST Sportline 1 @ £1K
2, KW V2`S but i dont think they go low enough and are at the top of my budget @ £1300 ish and Koni shocks
3, FK Sliverline X, adjustable damping, drop low and Koni shocks with stainless steel bodies @ £750
4, BC Kit that Mick @ Dimond Motors sells but i dont know enough about them @ £700 ish

Not intreasted in the Billies B14 as they had knocing issues, plated bodies which rust and no damping adjustment.

So im all ears, advice will be great from people who have used/use the above.

Thanks in advance

Scott.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Thats what i was thinking, the Sportline 2 is still £1500 though.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Bobby J's new BC coilovers seem pretty damn special. My old FKs were amazing, went low enough, great damping adjustment and didn't corrode.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Just put BC Racings on my bus, Scott.. assuming that's what you're on about.....

Very impressed so far. Speak to Ant for his opinion...

Last edited:
V2s

te5u8u3a.jpg

That's mine on then, still about 50mm thread on the front to go down, backs are all the way with no adjuster.

Ideally I would like it down a tad at the back, but mine is stripped bare. No carpets, headlining, tar etc.

And they've been perfect on track all year and there comfy on the road.

They also still look brand new

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
V2s

te5u8u3a.jpg

That's mine on then, still about 50mm thread on the front to go down, backs are all the way with no adjuster.

Ideally I would like it down a tad at the back, but mine is stripped bare. No carpets, headlining, tar etc.

Looks good matey, yes id want it a little lower on the rear.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yes and youd be correct.

You said in TIDL that le scoob failed mot on leaking Spax shock, did you not???

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Ok, I'll rephrase it Chip lol these feel a step up in quality compared to most coilovers i've handled, including Spax, FKs, Bilsteins and eibachs.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
My Spax after 11 months and around 2k. Car doesnt get used in the bad weather.

20130923_180956_zpsc6d6ce35.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Does anyone know if the AST run standard top mounts?

I called Josh but he hasnt got back to me yet.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Sportline 1's I am using them for sprints so I have the rear set up with the spring in the standard location and am running track springs which are fine on the front but way too stiff on the road unless you like pain lol you could run a softer set up though, Josh can recommend a spring to suit.I have not used spax but ran Konis and eibachs before but these are far better for track use.

I've ordered some sportline 1's to replace my spax RSX setup. (90% track use) I've gone for the track setup which is the middle one out of the spring rates ont he Kam racing site.
Ordered via cooksport and paid for them last week but no news of an extimated delivery date yet :S hope they don't take too long..

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Oh ok, i thought on the cooksport site it said that the 1s where full coilovers?

Mines a road car but just a sunday toy, the Spax where set quite stiff but the adjustable range was crap as it went from soft to rock hard...lol

Oh ok, i thought on the cooksport site it said that the 1s where full coilovers?

Mines a road car but just a sunday toy, the Spax where set quite stiff but the adjustable range was crap as it went from soft to rock hard...lol

the 1's are full coilovers.

The reasons I chose the AST's were they are tried and tested and rebuildable so will save me being back in this position buying again after 2 years.
I've only ever heard of BC's in a negative light on the MLR forum. I also remember when the spax RSX were all the rave on here when they first came out, now that they leak and aren't servicable the views have changed. Always a bit weary if the same happens again. Like you I didn't know enough about the BC's on the clio platform.

BC people, don't flame me, just my reasoning for choosing the kit I did.

How much are the nitrons from K-tec ? If they are around a grand I'll be kicking myself as they would be my first choice!

Last edited:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I've ordered some sportline 1's to replace my spax RSX setup. (90% track use) I've gone for the track setup which is the middle one out of the spring rates ont he Kam racing site.
Ordered via cooksport and paid for them last week but no news of an extimated delivery date yet :S hope they don't take too long..

Just had a look, are KAM more expensive than Josh?

Is there any benfit in buying the 2`s or is it not worth it for a road car?

Whats the difference between the 1`s and 2`s apart from the price?

Just had a look, are KAM more expensive than Josh?

Is there any benfit in buying the 2`s or is it not worth it for a road car?

yeah Josh is cheaper. Just the KAM racing site has more info on! (spring rates)

check the spec on Kam's site.
Difference is mainly the size of the shaft on the front. The sportline 1 shaft is actually a bit smaller than the spax I think which isn't brilliant but I couldn't justify the extra cash for the 2's. The BC's have larger diameter shafts than the sportline 1's

Last edited:

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
The regs for sprints dont allow spring location to change hence why, but as said are a rear coilover.The 1's are good enough for burpspeed .....

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
the 1's are full coilovers.

The reasons I chose the AST's were they are tried and tested and rebuildable so will save me being back in this position buying again after 2 years.
I've only ever heard of BC's in a negative light on the MLR forum. I also remember when the spax RSX were all the rave on here when they first came out, now that they leak and aren't servicable the views have changed. Always a bit weary if the same happens again. Like you I didn't know enough about the BC's on the clio platform.

BC people, don't flame me, just my reasoning for choosing the kit I did.

How much are the nitrons from K-tec ? If they are around a grand I'll be kicking myself as they would be my first choice!

Snap, im in the same boat as you.

Its my last chance in buying the correct set up as i wont be doing it again, i dont mind spending but it must be in the right way.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
yeah Josh is cheaper. Just the KAM racing site has more info on! (spring rates)

check the spec on Kam's site.
Difference is mainly the size of the shaft on the front. The sportline 1 shaft is actually a bit smaller than the spax I think which isn't brilliant...

How is the camber adjusted, on the cooksport site it looks like its done on the damper but on the KAM site it looks as if its going to be camber bolts?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
If its of any help the BCR's are doing great on my own Clio - Bloody love them!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
If its of any help the BCR's are doing great on my own Clio - Bloody love them!

No not really.....lol

I dont know what to do, made my mastake buying the Spax and of course lost money. I dont want to do it again.

From what I can gather..

AST top mounts give up to -1.4 degree camber
The sportlines come with some silver inserts in which adjust for the diff bolt spacing on cup/non cup cars. the bottom hole has a silver insert with an offset hole, fit it with the hole at the top or the bottom. the top hole has a centralised insert. You have two options, camber bolts or elongate the top holes.

I don't really wanna do the elongating so I'm hoping to get -3dgrees from camber bolts and use the AST top mounts purely for getting max castor.

No not really.....lol

I dont know what to do, made my mastake buying the Spax and of course lost money. I dont want to do it again.

Do you need them now or can you wait a while to see how the BC's last on other peoples cars? They could potentially be a bargain.. Especially if they are rebuildable?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You're welcome to come up and have a look and play in mine if you fancy. I think you're a bit too far away for that offer to seem attractive though unless you're planning on going to the Javlin day at Donnington in November?

EDIT: BC do offer a refurb service yes

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
V2s

te5u8u3a.jpg

That looks the boll ox mate

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Do you need them now or can you wait a while to see how the BC's last on other peoples cars? They could potentially be a bargain.. Especially if they are rebuildable?

No im in no big rush tbh.

You're welcome to come up and have a look and play in mine if you fancy. I think you're a bit too far away for that offer to seem attractive though unless you're planning on going to the Javlin day at Donnington in November?

EDIT: BC do offer a refurb service yes

Thank you for the offer Mick but you are a bit to far, plus its in bits...lol