ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dip in torque 3500rpm

Range Rover Sport
Is it normal for the 172 to have a dip in torque around 3500rpm?

Not hugely noticeable on the road, I will be getting a AFR done soon so I can see exactly what is going on with the fuel mixture.

w1d6on.jpg

Ph1
Would like to know this too as a few of my old graphs have this dip and seen a few others on the RR thread have it, although many also don't.

Range Rover Sport
Don't get me wrong the car goes extremely well on the road was just wondering if the 'dip' was normal.

Fred at BTM did the cambelt so I would have thought that's all correct, could the cause be anything else?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Don't get me wrong the car goes extremely well on the road was just wondering if the 'dip' was normal.

Fred at BTM did the cambelt so I would have thought that's all correct, could the cause be anything else?

I would be very surprised if Fred did it wrongly also.

As he is familiar with your car it would make sense to ask his opinion.

Range Rover Sport
I'll 'tag' him into the thread, hopefully he'll be able to shed some light on what he thinks could cause the dip.

Maybe a map / RS tuner would be beneficial but would rather diagnose the problem rather than covering it up so to speak.

Fred@BTM

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
From memory my standard 172 had a dip around that rpm.

None of them have a flat torque curve, but that dip does look a little harsher than normal.

Although TBH it might just be due to the way they have scaled the axis looking again at the graph, it looks dramatic at a glance, but its only about 10lbft in fact.

So TBH, probably nothing to worry about.

ph2 172
None of them have a flat torque curve, but that dip does look a little harsher than normal. Although TBH it might just be due to the way they have scaled the axis looking again at the graph, it looks dramatic at a glance, but its only about 10lbft in fact. So TBH, probably nothing to worry about.

Just had a check of mine, looks to drop 5-7 lbft before rising again, the scaling on the graph you posted is similar however the peak torque after is a lot more than mine.
Has the OP's engine got hotter cams by any chance?

For ref.
IMG_0628.jpg

Range Rover Sport
I have no invoice of any camshafts, I was asked if it had 197 camshafts though?

Heard mixed reviews about the 197 camshaft in a 172 so have no idea...

Lionel Richie
looks fine to me, really bad scale! The power/torque curve should be crossing at 5252rpm, yours are at about 2250rpm by the look of it

Range Rover Sport
Like I say, it feels great on the road was just worried about the 'dip' but by the sound of it a lot do have a slight dip and if Chip/Fred is correct the scaling isn't great so looks worse than it is?

Can breath again now.