ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Disaster update. Please help!

Having had a big bang, followed by rampant misfires while driving, I limped my car home (was fortunately only 1/4 mile away). I wasnt caning the car at the time.

I initially thought it might be the head gasket, but none of the associated symptoms were present.

So I looked at my ignition system. Basically, one of the spark plugs has shot out of the cylinder head, destroying the spark plug thread in the cylinder head in the process.

Ive been told that I can get the thread repaired with the cylinder head in-situ. Sadly, I dont know where to go to get it done - and suspect that because the thread is so small and so deep, that no-one will be able to do it.:(

Does anyone know if this repair is possible and how much it costs?

If that fails, how much does a new head cost (the existing one has been smoothed) including fitting?

Thanks very much.

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

LCP do helicoils in situ but Ive never heard of one being done in a 16v. Plug holes just too deep. However it maybe worth giving them a ring to find out.

They might be able do it with the head off?

L.C.P Automotive Components
Bridge Rd
Ashford Kent
TN23 1BB

Tel: 01233 623113

Just one of many in the Kent area.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

id try an epoxy putty, with metal in. I used some to repair a core plug on my RT and it worked a treat. Dont get the cheap stuff and make sure its ok heat and pressure wise. Just put it round the stripped thread, then either cut a new thread or make one with the plug just before its set. Easier said than done i know with the depth, its hard enought just removing the plugs sometimes.That might tide you over for a bit anyways.

Failing that i have a reconditoned 19 16v head for sale, yours for £120, bought off Jimbo never used. And a full head gasket set at BB is around £600+vat fitted i think, plus the cost of the head.

ashley autos on ashley down rd do helicoils.........they are a greatpolite company....

but head will probably need to be off.

lofty has a spare head.......but aint yours been modded?

A Helicoil - thats the jobbie I need. Sadly, my car is stuck at home in deepest, greenest Wales.

I also have a feeling that it wont be easy with the depth of the hole. If it needs to come off, then Ill just get a new head fitted. But that aint going to be cheap!:(

if the thread gets stripped, then id be more concerned about the bottom end, i.e. having swarf munching the psions, scoring the block, etc. for a 100% job, take the head off and inspect the walls of the cylinder for any scoring. ur best bet wud be to buy another cylinder head. ask paul mitchell, hes got loads of these engines, saves the hassles of bodging the head.

jimbo

Im having to have the head taken off anyway now as the thread cannot be repaired with a Helicoil without the head coming off. I spoke to someone who can do the Helicoil for about £20 - but the head coming off will be expensive as it will need new cambelts and so on (which is a majorly labour intensive job!).

Im going to have the car taken to a garage I trust on Thursday and take it from there.

Boo hoo:(

really sorry to hear that, it must have been not long after i saw you pressing on up the M4? i drove from bridgend to bristol fastish an i was suprised how hot it was considering i had the heaters on full wack and it was a cold day,

anyway, yes a head could be avalible but...... the head is where your engine makes it ridiclous power, to pop a standard head back on would see you back to almost standard power and way overfueling due to your current remappable ECU,

if the head is saveable then you really should save it becase it must be a work of art to produce so much power, but having said that the force involved in poppoing a sparklug out must be absolutly immense, the head gasket should have gone before, unless its been helio-coiled before or something, heli-coils are usually for cross threaded spark plugs, i hate to say it but i think there might be majior problems inside, think the explosive/prerssure was enough to pop the plug out it could well be enough to bend a couple of valves etc, i dont claim to be an expert but it would take a massive amount of pressure to pop the plug out unless it had been repaired before,

of all the money spent by the previous owner the overhwelming majority would havebeen on the head work, not the re-build from the snapped belt bacause its not much harder to do it to a lightly damaged head, if it need s a replacment head or re-building then you had better spek nicely to BenR as he the man who can for a fraction of the cost, but it would be far better to try and salvage something from your old head

indeed, a std head and cams should not be able to make that power.....

But talking to nick in one of the other posts, he has tested and has lead to some weird findings. the ports aer actually too big, and yours could possibly be std. it would explain the 16vs lack of torque low down.....BUT......have a look at the ports.

you can check for the casting lines up the inlet ports (less dirty than the exhasts). if its a tad dirty, some sand paper (fine) or some carb cleaner etc, or even wd40 will clean it up enough. look for the casting lines which are usually on the port side walls. if they are there, the head has not been touched......well, not very much at all.

also feel the inside radii (the tightest bend goin straight into the back of the inlet valve) if you can feel even the slightest ridges and/bumps or lack of smoothness, it will most likely of not been touched......but im talking VERY smooth curve.

oh, and line up teh inlet manifold gasket to see if its perfect or not.

The head will hopefully be coming off on Thursday/Friday and all will hopefully be revealed at that point. My initial reaction is to just plonk a standard re-conditioned engine in if its bad news and the head/valves/pistons have been damaged. Ill cross that bridge when it comes to it, but Im sure someone like Mat Brown will have a standard lump lying around. I cant afford to have a new head done and certainly cant afford a turbo conversion!

I dont know what else could have caused the weakness/force necessary to eject a plug and its thread - but I do know that it isnt good!

My prayers are focusing on the spark plug having been overtightened (it is an alloy head) or it having been screwed in on a bad angle.

Its just such a sodding shame as it literally happened a day after I got my car back from the body-shop and all I wanted to do was drive it and polish it. I did rag it a bit on that day as my mate was picking up a new car (Saab 9-3 turbo) and we both wanted to see which was quicker. But it wasnt a complete ragging or anything. Its doubly a shame as the body work cost me - and now this problem has come along!

Im very, very tempted to sell the car once the work is done. Itll literally be perfect by the time its done (its now at the level of a new car - with new fogs, badges etc) but I wouldnt mind getting some of the money it owes me back.

haha.....you know ya cant sell it!

what would you get?

surely not a 172?

if the head is damaged, and it is modded, ill do your new one super cheapo to get you back to what you had.......when im back that is.

but i doubt its damaged as it would of blown any metal flakes from teh thread out with teh plug....how fast did it come out, or did it merely flop out and sit in the cam cover area.

I heard a bang, just as I accelerated away gently from idle at some lights. It must have been just a flop out and the bang must have been the sudden loss of pressure - because the plastic "F16 i.e." cover is ok, although the Magnecor lead end looks like its had it! The plug itself was a bit magled at the bottom.

If I had enough for a 172, then Id probably get a turbo conversion. But as I said above, I dont have enough! Ill probably keep it, although would almost ceratinly sell it if I had a willing buyer. I just cant be bothered with the hassle of selling my car: its the sort of car that would go within seconds to someone who saw it and had the cash, but its a case of finding that person! It could take ages.

Cheers for the offer of the head work. If I need a new one, then I might ask Lofty to kindly dig his out and Id part with some cash, and take you up on the offer. I should know by the end of the week.