ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Disca and Pads for CUP

hello everyone..i want to upgrade the discs and pads on the car but not go silly..which would everyone recommend with prices please..thanks

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Standard discs with either Mintex M1144, Ferrodo DS2500 or Pagid fast road pads are more than good enough for fast road and even the odd trackday!

This is a setup Ive used myself in the past and will be going the same route with the Cup.

Expect to pay about £45 for a set of pads...

Yup, std discs.....mintex 1144 is great for the money, superb value as they are only about 30 odd quid. But the are an old compound and suffer from old technology.

PF 01 is good, ferodo is good, pagid is expensive as hell but worked best on the cliocup racers. They dropped them for PF due to cost.

I would recommend DS2500 although they need careful run in. A better but more expensive option are Pagid blue pads or performance friction pads, both will cost £120-£140. A lot of people on this site have used the K-tec kevlar pads and swear by them I havent. Theyre very cheap in comparison to Pagid or PF.

If you can get the spec on the pads youre considering, you just need to look for the friction coefficient curve. Itll tell you about the amount of friction (0.4 in most good OEM pads, 0.45-0.50 in higher friction pads, and around 0.7 in race pads). You also need to look for operating temperature, and unless you intend to swap your race pads every time youre on track, you need to get pads that work from fairly low temperatures, typically 100-150 degrees, otherwise you will have no braking when the brakes are cold.

Its worth investing more in new compounds which give you the best of both worlds, cold operating temperatures and high friction coefficients.

I wouldnt worry about the discs at this stage. If you take the car on track a lot, youre better off getting ventilation on the brakes (pop the fogs out etc) and if you go for heavy braking, you can consider changing your brake fluid to DOT5.1 which can handle higher temperatures.

I would start with Pagid or PF pads and see how you get on.

the bedding in process is cruicial too.

Dont do the slow braking for 100 miles crap, what your trying to do is heat the pads gradually so that you burn off and bond the resins.

go up to 60mph and slow down gradually to 5mph (dont stop or youll leave pad deposits which lead to judder), then do it again and brake a tad harder, keep going but never stopping....brake harder each time....about 7-10 passes is fine and the brakes should be hot, smoking, then you can drive like normal.